Fourteen~Battle

"You will not harm them, Thane." Merlin's voice was low. His eyes flashed, and without a warning two of the men closest to Thane fell without a sound. The knights stared in disbelief. Merlin hadn't uttered a single spell, or even moved, yet two of Thane's men were down.

      "You cannot protect them, Emrys. Every time you use your magic it is drained from you, transferring to me." Thane raised his scythe, his black eyes glaring at the warlock before him. "Kill them all." With Thane's simple command, his men charged the knights of Camelot.

      "Protect Freya!" Merlin shouted at Lancelot, before rushing towards Thane. Lancelot nodded, backing towards the girl. The other knights charged into battle, their determination pushing them.

      Freya smiled at the knight who Merlin had asked to keep her safe. "I'm Freya!" She introduced herself. He smiled in return, blocking the swipe of an enemy sword, before plunging it into the attacker's chest.

      "Lancelot." He replied, shaking her hand. Her eyes widened as she noticed something behind the knight.

    "Look out!" Freya yelled, stretching her hand out. Quickly, she muttered a spell, and sent the man, who was about to bring his sword down on the knight, flying across the arena.

      "I can see why Merlin likes her so much!" Gwaine yelled as he watched her direct another spell towards the man who had pinned him down. With a grin on his face, he charged back into battle.

➿➿➿➿➿

      Merlin ducked, barely dodging the scythe that sailed over his head. The warlock's eyes were completely gold now, because of the spell he was using to slow down time around himself and Thane. If Merlin stopped using the spell for even one second, Thane would become too fast to even see.

"You might as well surrender, Emrys." Thane snarled, lifting his weapon above his head. He brought it down with all his strength, forcing Merlin to jump to the side. The blade plunged into the hard ground where the warlock had been standing, a crack spiraling through the rock. Merlin panted, out of breath. He raised his hand, and Thane went flying, though not far. "The longer you use your power-" he grunted, picking himself off the arena floor. "-the more powerless you become." Thane pointed at Merlin, and without saying a single spell, sent the warlock tumbling.

Merlin moaned, his head ringing. He gasped as he felt the point of Thane's scythe press into his back, piercing the skin slightly.

"Nimueh always believed in the power of prophecy." Thane whispered. "Well, I'm on the verge of defying a prophecy, by killing you. With your death, Arthur will not go on to be king, and will not unite Albion." A dark chuckle came from the man's throat. "I suppose Nimueh was wrong about destinies." Merlin's breathing became labored as he became weaker, his magic being slowly sapped from him.

"Merlin!" The sound of Freya's shriek caused the knights to pause in their actions, only to see their friend pinned under the blade of the enemy. The warlock groaned, feeling blood trickle down his back as Thane pressed harder, taking sadistic joy in his pain.

Suddenly, Thane was tackled by a blur of red and silver, and the blade was gone. Merlin sighed in relief, rolling over to catch a glimpse of his savior. The warlock had expected one of the knights, maybe even a spell from Freya. What hadn't even crossed his mind was Arthur saving him.

The prince stood above Merlin, taking in the injuries he had sustained. A slight flash of pity could be seen in his eyes before it was replaced by anger, then hardness. Merlin winced as he stood up, white hot pain spreading through his body.