Chapter 5

The whole den was silent. Finally Flamestar spoke, "Moonleaf, Amberflower, stock up on cobwebs and battle herbs. I'll send some warriors to help you carry it. Go get Moonshine, Smokescar, and Dappleears. I need to talk to Icestorm and Lilysplash." Moonleaf and Amberflower walked out and towards the warriors. We soon saw them padding toward the entrance. Flamestar turned to Likysplash first. "I need you to stay here with those too young or old to fight, just in case we fail."

"Okay," Lilysplash said, nuzzled Flamestar and Icestorm the walked out. Flamestar turned to Lilysplash,

"I need you to leads us and Skypack in the battle against the Dark Forest. I bet Mistystar will put up her deputy and I wanted to make the offer for you to be mine."

"But, Berryclaw?" Icestorm interjected.

"He wants to join the elders, and I told him he could." Flamestar said and looked at Icestorm.

"I accept your offer." Icestorm said and the two wolves walked out. Flamestar to the ledge and Icestorm to her sister on the ground. All eyes looked up at Flamestar,

"Earthpack, I have an announcement. An evil is threatening all wolves and we must unite to stop it. I will bring this up in detail tomorrow at the Gathering. For now I shall tell you that Berryclaw is stepping down as deputy to become an elder. In his place I nominate Icestorm as deputy. Not because she is kin, but because she is a strong warrior and has a good heart. You may go in peace."

With that he went back into his den. I brought him a piece of meat then went to the piece of shade near the fresh kill pile. I saw my pups walk in the front and walked over to them."You guys better rest if you plan on going to the Gathering tonight." They both ran to the apprentice den and curled up with a lot of other apprentices who we're resting up before the Gathering.

Later that night at moonhigh a lot of warriors were lining up to go to the Gathering along with their apprentices. A few of the elders were even going. Icestorm stepped up next to Flamestar walking beside him as the deputy would. Icestorm was still processing that she was the deputy now. She had shared the good news with Foxtail, Lilysplash, and her pups who had been beyond happy for her. Her pups had sang mom is the deputy, mom is the deputy for what seemed like forever.

All to soon, at least in Icestorm's opinion, they arrived at the clearing where the Gathering was held. Icestorm went to sit at the base of the tree and saw Pricklefur. Of course you'll see him, Icestorm thought, he is deputy to the other pack after all. She called over Cloudpaw and Shadowpaw once she reached Pricklefur. "Your pups are coming over. I thought you might as well meet them. They think Foxtail is their dad." Pricklefur eagerly looked around until his eyes landed on Cloudpaw and Shadowpaw. A soft gasp escaped him. "Who's this Mom?" Shadowpaw asked flicking her eyes over to Pricklefur.

"This is someone I've known a long time," Icestorm replied softly. "Pricklefur these are Cloudpaw and Shadowpaw, my pups."

"Nice to meet you," Pricklefur says as he dipped his head. "I bet you guys are the best apprentices around."

"Yep," Shadowpaw exclaimed eagerly, "We're the best fighters just like our mom and dad." Pricklefur's eyes shone with pride.

Icestorm nudged the her pups into the crowd saying "Go mingle the leaders will start to talk soon." Indeed, a few seconds later Flamestar howled for attention.

"I have terrible news. A great evil is coming soon. The Dark Forest is coming and we must unite to stop it." There was an explosion of sound of lots of arguments. Though none of them got physical because of the treaty on the Gathering night. Finally, Mistystar's voice rose over the clamor, "How long do we have?"

"Eight sunrises!" Came the reply as the noise rose back up.

(Eight sunrises later, the day before the night of the eclipse)

Icestorm had said goodbye to Lilysplash that morning as Icestorm was leading the charge and Lilysplash was going to camp to protect the elders, expecting mothers and pups. Icestorm was worried she wouldn't see her again. The medicine wolves of both packs had found a place to stock their herbs and heal the wounded. Everyone somehow knew the battle would take place on Sunningfield. The apprentices were practicing battle moves and warriors were doing mock fights. The elders, pups, and expecting she wolves had been moved to the more secure Earthpack camp. The deputies, Icestorm and Pricklefur, and the leaders, Flamestar and Mistystar, were planning on how to organize the fighters.

Icestorm and Pricklefur stole covert glances at Cloudpaw and Shadowpaw as they trained. The leaders and deputies finally agreed and just in time. A shadow had started to come over the sun. The eclipse was approaching. Icestorm went into real sleep. She saw Lightningheart and said, "Tell Starpack it is time." Then Icestorm woke up and went to Amberflower, who had a few senior warriors guarding her because she would be vulnerable while she was allowing Starpack to join us in our fight through her.

Amberflower looked up questionably and I nodded. She rose her head and howled. It was a howl of joy, sorrow, happiness, compassion, and the hope of victory all in one haunting tune. Once she was finished Starpack came. They first appeared as glittering stars then became wolves and joined the ranks. Everyone was shocked then amazingly happy. All too soon the reunion was cut short. I nuzzled Amberflower and ran to be at the front of the ranks. A dark pack was approaching us. The evil wolves from the Dark Forest. Once they reached us one huge brute with a scar over his eye stepped forward.

"Who among you will challenge me?" said the dark wolf leader.

"I will," Icestorm said and stepped forward.

Before she could take another step the dark wolf leapt at her and they were rolling and rolling and both received any wounds. Finally, Icestorm had the dark wolf pinned to the ground. She knew he was pure evil and yet she did not want to kill him.

"First I kill you then I kill your pups!" said the dark wolf snarling. That pushed Icestorm and she ended him. With the death of their leader the dark Wolfpack surged against the united force of Earthpack and Skypack. Starpack warriors fought long and hard against their archenemy and lent their strengths to the other packs. The battle finally ended with all the Dark Wolves dead but at a steep price. A lot of good Earthpack and Skypack warriors were dead and quite a few apprentices were too.

Icestorm raced, or rather limped, over to her pups and started licking at their injuries and making sure they were okay. Soon all the wolves were looking at Icestorm and Pricklefur, who had come up to stand beside her. Mistystar and Flamestar lay dead. Their lives exhausted as they were killed.

Starpack looked upon the pair of wolves and said, "New leaders of the united pack, Moonpack, we grant you each five lives." Then Starpack floated into the sky with the newly dead. The dead's bodies shimmered and disappeared as well. Some might say this is the end. Could it be? It may not be the end maybe it is just the beginning.