The Dark Side of the Moon

"Control, this is Major Tom, do you read me?"

"Ground Control to Major Tom. Yes, Major, loud and clear, good work on that relay. You know, I've always wanted to say that." 

"Thanks, Control. Happy to make a bit of Bowie come true."

"We anticipate about five-second delay between message delivery and arrival. Do you concur?"

"Sounds about right to me Control. It's bound to take a little while to relay off the satellite from the dark side of the moon."

"Congratulations Major, first person on the dark side."

"Thanks, Control. May I make a request?"

"Of course Major, but if it's a request for a bacon sandwich, we may not be able to sort that immediately." 

"Roger Control. A bacon sandwich sounds good, but for now, how about a bit of Pink Floyd?"

"Sounds good to us Major, we know just the album. But we also know you too, so while you're possibly considering dancing on the moon, please remember that any footprints you make are going to be there for a very long time, so try not to leave evidence of 'dad dancing' for future generations."

"Haha, Roger that Control. No dancing. And my kids have forbidden me to sing in case I accidentally kill any alien lifeforms."

"Probably for the best. Do you have your instrumentation set up Major?"

"Almost there Controle. I've just got to make sure the transmitter is set up for the science station and you should get a ping from it shortly. Give me a few minutes of pure Floyd and I'll get that sorted out."

"Control?"

"Yes Major, we're still here."

"Science station should be pinging you now."

"Thanks, Major, we have the signal, but it's kinda muzzy. Could you try moving it a little please?"

"Seriously? Do you want me to give it a whack too? This isn't an old TV aerial." 

"Yes Major, we know, but sometimes a restart and a quick boot in the motherboard is all that's needed... Major?"

"Still here Control. I just turned my mic off for a moment as I didn't want to scare any aliens with the swearing."

"You do know that that's all recorded by your suit anyway though don't you Major?" 

"Yup. I did some singing for you folks too for posterity."

"Thank you, Major, always nice to have something to look forward to." 

"My pleasure. OK. Pinging again now. Do you receive Control?"

"Yes Major, that's perfect. Thank you." 

"Control to Major Tom... Major Tom are you reading us?"

"Um... yes Control, I'm still here."

"Is everything alright Major?"

"Mostly."

"Mostly Major? Could we have some more specific information please?"

"You know we were talking about footprints in the moon dust earlier?"

"Yes Major, are your oxygen levels ok?"

"Yes, thanks Control, all systems are functioning normally. But there are footprints here besides mine..."

"Please repeat Major."

"There are footprints here besides mine."

"Are you absolutely sure Major?"

"Yes Control, and the thing that made them is standing next to me."

"Please repeat."

"You heard Control, but I need another favour."

"Name it."

"Switch off the Pink Floyd and put on some Bowie please, it seems we have an interstellar fan..."

- The End - 

I wrote this originally for Tap, another App Wattpad own and run. I wanted to try and write a story that was all speech, and this is the slightly musically inclined result. And yes, I do like a bit of Bowie and Floyd.