Chapter 1- Apprentices

Violetsoul held her tail over her face.

"Violetsoul! Come on!" A paw prodded her.

She opened her blue eyes to see Badgerkit looking at her intently.

"Badgerkit! What are you doing here?"

Badgerkit's greenish-blue eyes met hers.

"Looking for you. Come on!" He turned and bounded out of the den.

Violetsoul stood to her paws, blinking the sleep out of her eyes. Avoiding sleeping warriors, Violetsoul exited the den.

It was sunhigh! She had slept in!
A black shape knocked her off her paws. She yelped in surprise, attempting to get up.

"Got you!" Badgerkit mewed.

Violetsoul snorted, rolling over and smiling at the kit. She pawed his ear playfully.

"You scared me!" She mewed.

"No fair! I was going to get her!" Poolkit squeaked.

Her silver tortoiseshell pelt fluffed out. She glared at Badgerkit.

"Well I got to her first!" He mewed. His eyes suddenly brightened as he turned to Violetsoul. "Guess what!" He mewed.

"What?" She asked. "I'm not good at guessing."

"I'm going to be an apprentice!" He mewed.

"That's great!" Violetsoul purred.

Badgerkit and Willowkit were held back for a while when the clan was attacked, but that was a moon and a half ago, and everyone had recovered. All except for Brokensoul. She had taken along a lot of damage, more than she should have. Angelmist was almost convinced she wasn't going to make it, but Brokensoul pulled through.

"I'll be one soon too!" Poolkit squeaked.

"In like three moons." Badgerkit snorted.

"Badgerkit! Come on!" Willowkit mewed as she bounded to them. "Snowfoot wants us, I think we're being made apprentices now!" She mewed excitedly.

Violetsoul watched as Badgerkit sprang after his sister, them fighting nearly the whole way to their mother, Snowfoot.

"Poolkit, come here." Silverstripe called her kit.

Sighing, Poolkit heaved herself up, and padded to the nursery.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey, gather beneath the high rock for a clan meeting!"

Violetsoul padded to join the gathered cats.
Looking at the nursery, she saw Silverstripe with her two kits; Leopardkit and Poolkit. Next to her was Violetsoul's sister, Moonbrook, and her kits; Stonekit, Quietkit, and Dovekit. Dovekit looked identical to Doveheart, a she-cat who had died saving Moonbrook in the attack. In honer of Doveheart, Moonbrook had named her kit 'Dovekit'.

"Willowkit, you have reached the age of six moons, meaning you are ready to become a apprentice. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Willowpaw." Flowerstar meowed. "Cedarsky, although you came from Windclan, you have shown nothing but loyalty to us. You are ready to take on an apprentice. You will mentor Willowpaw."

Cedarsky and Willowpaw stepped forward, and touched noses.

"Willowpaw! Willowpaw!" The clan chanted the new apprentice's name.

"Badgerkit," Flowerstar began when the crowd died down. "You too have reached the age of Six Moons, meaning you are ready to be an apprentice. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Badgerpaw. Echofur, you have not had a apprentice yet, but I trust you are ready for one. You will mentor Badgerpaw."

Echofur touched her nose to Badgerpaw, who could barely contain his excitement.

"Badgerpaw! Badgerpaw!" The clan chanted.

Violetsoul could see Snowfoot and Creekeye watching their kits proudly. Sharppaw looked happy for once.

She must be happy for her mother.