Even after walking away, I heard Alex said "When a girl says no, she means no. Got it?" So he really does have a smidge of manners, and a brain. I paused, listening for more, but all I heard were murmurs. A pang of guilt hit me as I realized what I'd done. I was about to be Leo's prey and Alex just happened to save me, and I left him. Without a single thank you.

I ducked my head and stuffed my hands in my black jean pockets, biting my bottom lip habitually as I continued my walk. The chilly wind blew the hair that had escaped my lame ponytail onto my face.

"I think you might just be some kind of creep magnet, you know." Alex said, walking up to me calmly, acting as if he wasn't bruised and a little bloody.

"That would explain why you're always so close to me." I said, raising my eyebrows as I turned my head to face him. He glanced away for a second and pushed a hand through his sleek brown hair.

"I wouldn't really say I'm a creep, and hey, I just saved your little ass, so you should be thanking me." Keeping his pace, he bent down to look at me, a smile wide on this face. I pointed my face upwards and crossed my arms in defiance.

"Maybe I would, but I don't like your language."

"Hah, I've heard you say worse, pumpkin." He straightened his posture again and kept his face forward while he continued. "Didn't I beat up Leo at that party? I've lost track."

I nodded and bit my lip harder before forcing out the question that settled in my rambunctious mind. "H-How are you so shameless about beating people up?" His spine stiffened, but he never kept his eyes off of the pavement in front of him.

"Who said I was shameless?" The words hit me like a bus. So his cold exterior, just like many others, really did hide that big of compassion and guilt I suspected.

"O-Oh, sorry." Why was I apologizing? Why was I even sticking around talking to him?

"Is the stuttering a habit or what?" Alex asked randomly, breaking our awkward silence. I looked at him with confusion. "Erm, not that it's bad or anything, I guess it's a little cute— Just answer my question!" His eye flickered to the ground as a wave of pink washed over his cheeks.

I smiled cheekily and prodded his side with my finger. "Is Mr. Cool getting flustered?" My heart raced. What if he really was?

"Pfft, no. I have better ways to waste my time." He said quickly. I looked down at my feet quietly, already lacking self confidence dissipating even more.

I glanced up again and saw my tiny house in the distance. Without a second thought, I began running towards it, only stopping to allow the waiting cars to pass.

Taking a quick glance over my shoulder, I watched Alex turn on his heels and walk back up the way we had just came from, running through his hand again as he shook his head with a small smile.

_______________________________

Hope you guys are enjoying the story:) Also, so excited for you to read to next chapter coming out next Wednesday!!