Chapter Two: Summer Flings

Dedicated to northbynorth, I honestly don't know what to write because her writing says it all. She is an amazing writer and I demand you go and read her story Saving Elliot because it's exquisite, the plot and characters will get to you and you will love every single one of them. 

Chapter Two: Summer Flings

The bright, tangy, orange sun is setting on the horizon while tourists and locals are either leaving or gathering on the beach, as for Bella and I, it's a beach kind of night. I take another lick from my mango flavor ice cream and turn to see Bella receiving her change from the ice cream man. 

"Mahalo." She smiles and then steps out of line and heads towards me carrying her very berry ice cream cone. "Miss this?" she takes a lick as we walk along the sidewalk towards the beach. 

"Ice cream? Please, I binge on this every week in school. I wonder why I'm not fat." 

She laughs lightly, "Perks of being a mermaid." 

"Indeed." I agree mustering up a british accent causing us both to laugh. We head into the sandy pathway and the feeling of being back on the beach overwhelms me with relief and secureness. 

I'm taking another lick when Bella shifts on her toes to walk backwards to face me, "So, how was the party friday?" 

"It was cool, nothing too big." I brush it off and take a lick from my ice cream.

"Did you sleep with Ricky?" she removes the elephant in the air and I quirk my eyebrow at her. "Please tell me you didn't sleep with Ricky." Her face is hopeful, but my mischievous smile says it all and she groans throwing her head back. "Gaby, anyone. Anyone but him." 

Slowly, my smile starts to fade, "Okay, the truth is, Ricky and I have been talking. And we're thinking about getting married." Bella almost chokes on her ice cream and as hard as I try to keep a pokerface, I end up dying of laughter, "Oh my - you should have seen your face!" I stop and crouch down as I cackle up a storm. 

"You and Ricky, it's just a fling right? Because he's bad for you. He's a very bad guy."

I roll my eyes, "Bella, I always have flings in the summers." 

"See, I love summers - especially with you, but this is exactly why I hate summers. You go from the Gaby I love dearly, the one that works and studies hard and doesn't waste her precious time. But once summer arrives and you have nothing to worry about, BAM," She claps her hands together almost dropping her cone and my lips quirk up into a smile, "You change into an MTV bad girl and it drives me crazy because it's ridiculous to see this transformation in you." 

"Please, tell me more." It's not that I'm vain and have such a huge ego, it's because I love to see Bella all riled up. She scoffs and playfully pushes me to the side. I fall back into step with her as we walk along the beach towards the huge fire pit that is growing by each log being thrown. It's not until we come into view that the hollering begins. I scan the crowd, mostly people from my swim team and Bella's surfing team, and a bunch from high school. 

"Hey, hey, hey! Look who it is!" A deep voice howls, an all too familiar voice. I turn to Bella who is already rolling her eyes. "Aloha, bitches." Kai smirks down at us with his arms out wide. Although Kai has always been an ass since preschool, it's hard to loathe someone in such a small town. 

"Hey Kai," Bella and I both mutter as the three of us awkwardly embrace in a hug. 

"Don't sound too excited to see me." His voice drips with sarcasm, "I know you two have missed me."