What a mess we are in

NAOMI

When I exited the booth, Greed stood there, smirking. He gave us a letter from Ling, then disappeared. We went to Knox's on our own. On the way I gave Ed the gun. "Just...I think you should give it back. It may open the gate to a conversation with Rize." He nodded. 

The morning faded into afternoon, and Ed and I used it to go around checking on the havoc we caused with Scar earlier. As we walked, Ed seemed deep in thought. "What now?" I asked. Ed shrugged, brows knit. "I don't know. Either we look for the stone...or try to investigate on 'Father' some more...or we could ask that Xingese girl about her Alchemy...but I don't know which is the best course of action." I hummed. 

"We can start with asking Mei," I said, "Since it's safest: and most convenient." He looked at me with his brows furrowed. He looked like he was thinking hard. "Ed...?" He scowled. "That idiot Prince...what an ass." "Ed?" 

He wiped his hand over his face and sighed. "Are you returning to Riza's place?" "Oh..." I blanked. "To sleep I guess. " "Mhm...okay." "Ed." "?" "Are you okay?" 

His eyes widened, and he pat my head. He smiled a breathtaking smile. "Yeah," He sighed. "As long as you are." I rose my brow. "I'm good...?" "Good. Let's go back." 

Jesus...I'm in far too deep. I even got jealous over a silly fantasy crush. Seriously Nao, get a grip. 

xxx

EDWARD

I decided to go return Riza's gun that night. "Lieutenant! It's me!" I yelled. "What're you doing here now?" She yelled back. "I've come to return your gun. Naomi gave it to me earlier!" "I'll be out soon! Hang on!" 

xxx

When Hayate got off me I saw the boxes. "You're not moving, are you?" Riza hummed. "Oh, this? I haven't had time to clean up, and you've been keeping Naomi pretty busy." I cringed, cheeks hot. "Sorry..." "It's fine. She enjoys your company, still. It'll be like this for awhile." 

"I heard you've been reassigned to the Fuhrer." I said. "Yes. I heard your story too. Both Winry and Naomi are targets." I frowned. Riza sighed. "This isn't the kind of conversation to be held in the hall. Come in." 

xxx

Inspecting her gun, Riza mused: "It's stuffed with a lot of blood." I felt bad. "Sorry..." I apologized hastily. "It's alright. I'll clean it before it dries."  "Naomi didn't use any bullets though. I got in her way before she could, and another time we were being held pretty tightly." "Hmmm." Riza hummed. "I see. Well, she could have if need be. I'll take it that this means there was no serious need." I fidgeted. "I don't know. I wouldn't be able to shoot." 

"I...I can't claim to know Nao very well...but...I don't think she would've shot anyone. Since...we needed info, and she's a very cunning person. She wouldn't waste sources of intel like that." I swallowed. "And...the person she would have shot...was impossible to pierce. I...don't know what she was taught...but I'm not sure she would shoot, especially with me there." Riza smiled. "Maybe not. Do not underestimate her mental strength though. However...did something happen?" 

I hummed. "I almost died back there. When I came back...she was trying so hard not to cry. I realized that I didn't want her to cry, or to shoot anyone for my sake. I...I thought being in the military would get me accostomed to guns, but I can only see the bad in them. I may need to shoot someone someday...but I don't know if I can. And...if Ling hadn't helped I might've died...and made her cry again. Seriously. I'm terrible. I cause her and Winry nothing but worry. If Ling wasn't there I'm not sure I would've made it out." Riza hummed. "You worry because you came back alive. You have to worry and scrabble around in that way and even if it looks uncool, you have to survive." I rose a brow at that. "For the person most important to you." Riza met my eye as I took a sip of tea. "Protect her." "Eh?" "You Love Naomi, don't you?" I spat my tea all over Hayate.