Number Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

A small glow lit the face of the intruder, a fire that wasn't a product of 13's illusion. Alarmed, the old man jumped away in haste.

"We need to talk," said the intruder in a voice he would recognize even in death.

13 straightened, dropped the images he created out of his imagination and frowned at the unexpected visitor. The Equation inclined his head reverently. By the grim expression the man wore, 13 knew that he brought no good news, especially since he was personally here. Initially, he didn't recognize him because he wasn't wearing his usual crisp black suit. Instead, he wore a brown leather jacket over a white shirt, stained jeans and dark boots covered with mud.

"Master Kreuz, why are you here?" 13 asked in confusion. "You never leave the headquarters."

"I just did."

Kreuz locked gazes with his old friend and took note of the exhaustion visible in his weathered face. His white hair was all over his gaunt face, some plastered in sweat against his skull. 13 appeared to have last slept three days ago, if not more.

"But in the past –"

"– is exactly that, the past. Have you gone senile, Agent 13? Wasn't your napping enough?"

13 scowled at his Master. "Show respect to your elders, boy."

Kreuz laughed at the expression he received and served himself a glass of apple cider he took from a shelf. 13 only eyed him as he moved about the place. Finally, Kreuz flopped on the couch with 13 and offered the other man a glass. Along with the glass were a couple of pills.

"Vitamins and pain-reliever, my friend. I believe you needed them badly."

"Badly, eh?"

"You're past retirement age. Take care of your health, old man."

The agent took them unceremoniously. "Enough idle talk. Why are you here?"

Kreuz took a sip, and then downed the drink in one go. "There's a change of plans. I'm sending you to the HQ to replace me. Since I'm here and I'm not going back, you have no choice but to go."

"Well thought," 13 commented tonelessly "And may I ask why?"

"I will directly manage the affairs here. My Gift would be best utilized under these circumstances, but I can't leave my position vacant for too long. Given your experience, I know you can handle multi-tasking. Strategizing has always been your best point."

"Your words flow too smoothly like a well-rehearsed line, and that's crap. Let's stop the euphemism, shall we? What's the real reason, Kreuz Creed? Why are you here?"

"Like I said –"

"You're worried about me," 13 said flatly, his eyes narrowed in suspicion.

"You're too old for this kind of thing," the other admitted hesitantly.

13 watched his Master for a long time before replying, "You can't lead a direct attack. The risk is too great. I'm just another Equation; Creed doesn't need me as much as it needs you. It's you that supports the whole organization. If you fight, we might lose you."

"I am a fighter first, 13. Remember that. I am stronger than you. If I don't have a chance, what chance do you have? If I don't lead these men, then the whole organization will crumble."

"You are seeking a form of blood revenge against what the Light did. This is what it's all about, right?"

"No."

"Don't lie to me, Master."

"You are the First Master." Kreuz looked at the high ceiling, his expression hard. "I am the brain of Creed. I am not Creed itself. You are, Vladimir Creed. You and your daughters. You founded Creed. You are Creed. It is high time we give back to you what's truly yours. As you can see, when it comes to 00, I am biased. I can't make the right decisions anymore. I need to act, not to oversee. Right now, you are what the organization needs."