Chapter 17

Sy

"I'm sorry Nick, but what were you lying?" She could hear Tony from the hallway.

"I was wrong Director. The world hasn't changed a bit." That was Steve. Bruce looked at Natasha as they walked into the lab.

"Did you know about this?" He asked the redhead. Sy looked at the screen they were pointing at. On it was the schematics from some kind of weapon. A real version of it was sitting on the lab table in front of her.

"Fury, what in Hades were you thinking?" Sy snarled even as Natasha asked Bruce to leave.

"I was in Calcutta, I was pretty well removed." He snorted. Sy stomped towards the computer screen, swiping through the data. Each swipe made her stomach drop further. How the man didn't learn his lesson the first time around she didn't know, but she knew this time, the consequences were going to bite him in the podex. She would make sure of it.

"I would like to know why SHIELD is using the Tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction." Bruce walked next to her, changing the screen again. Fury gave them all hard looks. Then he caved.

"Because of them." He gestured at both Thor and Sy. She snarled even as Thor looked surprised.

"Me?" Thor asked.

"Last year Earth had a visitor from another planet that leveled a small town. We learned, that not only are we not alone. But that we are hopelessly, hilariously, outgunned " He paused. Sy stood up, her whole body shaking with anger. Her hand twitched towards her knives. Fury was dangerously out of line. Even if he said nothing about her, she knew he was hoping if it could fight an Asgardian, it could fight a god. But he would be wrong. And he would bring death and destruction like the world hasn't seen in millennia for trying.

"My people want nothing but peace with your planet." Thor insisted.

"But you aren't the only people out there are you. And you're not the only threat." At this Fury looked right at her. Syrinx snarled.

"You are making a dangerous mistake Fury. You were warned once. I am warning you again. This, this, hubris will bring nothing but carnage. To think I helped you the first time." She snarled at him, lunging forward. Tony grabbed her upper arm with an iron grip.

"Look Sy, as much as I'd love to see you try to kill The Spy, I've decided I actually care about you reaching high school graduation day. Wait for a better time." He muttered into her ear. She ripped her arm out of his hand, but stayed put.

"The world is filling up with people who can't be matched. They can't be controlled." This time she knew he was looking at her.

"Like you controlled the cube?" Steve questioned.

"You're work with the Tesseract is what drew Loki to it. And his allies. It is a signal to all the realms that the Earth is ready for a higher form of war." Thor warned him stepping closer.

"A higher form?" Steve asked sharply. Tony broke in.

"A nuclear deterrent. Because that calms everything right down." he said sarcastically.

"You were already warned against this once Nick,' Sy spit out his first name angrily, 'and my grandfather is not a strong believer in second chances. You throw away both our lives with this idiocy!" Fear began to creep through her, adrenaline racing through her body.

"Remind me again how we met Syrinx? Or how you made your fortune Stark?" Fury asked cooly. Steve stepped forward.

"I'm sure if he still made weapons, Stark would be neck deep in..." Tony interrupted.