Chapter 5

Steve

"If you don't mind?" Coulson asked. He felt uncomfortable. He hadn't joined the army for the fame, and ever since he stopped the silly shows he did in the beginning of his army career he'd never liked attention. He'd had enough of being a dancing monkey.

"Oh, no. Not at all." He managed to say, avoiding looking at the man.

"They're vintage. Took me awhile to collect them all. Near mint, slight boxing around the edges but..." Thankfully one of the other agents interrupted.

"We've got a hit. 67 percent match, wait, cross match. 79 percent." Coulson snapped back to professionalism, even as Steve felt something inside him sink with concern. Something bad was going to happen. He could feel it.

"Location?"

"Stuttgart, Germany. 28 Konigresse." He reported. Fury looked worried.

"Sir, isn't that where Syrinx..." Coulson asked. Steve was confused, Syrinx? Fury read his expression.

"Syrinx Melos. The girl who recruited you for me. Not only is she our resident expert in Asgard, but is she is also a talented musician. It, runs in her family. She's playing at a gala there tonight. A condition for her to help us with Loki." Steve straightened. He'd seen her file, not that it had contained much, but the girl was seventeen years old. Nowhere near old enough to be involved with the mission, let alone in the field. He'd had a hard time with her being on board the helicarrier at all, until Coulson assured him it was strictly in a consulting capacity. She had interacted with things like the threat before. It bothered him but he'd sucked it up. It wasn't like a lot of the boys he'd known in his army days were all that much older; and those were the ones who didn't lie about their age. But now it was different. The girl was hardly an adult, and now the threat, who had single handedly sunk a SHIELD facility into a massive crater, was at her location. Steve felt his nerves resolve, posture straightening into military precision. There was no way he was going to let her get hurt, or worse.

Fury gave him a hard glance.

"Captain. You're up."