Chapter 7

Sy

She woke up to Fury's voice crackling over the radio.

"He say anything?"

"Not a word." Natasha responded.

"Syrinx?" He asked. Sy raised her arm to wave at Natasha as she pulled herself to her feet.

"Awake."

"Good. Get here as quickly as you can. We're low on time." Fury signed off and Sy swayed lightly.

"Whoa. You should sit back down. I saw that footage while we were flying, you took a pounding in there." Came a quiet voice, a warm hand resting on her shoulder. Sy shrugged off Steve as she ducked into the cockpit.

"My kit?" She asked. Nat shrugged at her.

"Helicarrier. You're rusty." Syrinx growled.

"I don't like fighting anymore." Nat shrugged at her.

"Training is still important." Sy tried to roll her eyes but her head throbbed too much to bother. At least her little nap seemed to help her energy levels. As soon as she got her hands onto an instrument or some ambrosia or nectar she'd be fine. She listened to the two older men discuss how easy it was to capture Loki. But it was mostly Tony Stark ribbing Steve.

"You might have missed a couple things, you know. Doing time as a Capsicle." Steve just looked irritated. Sy would smack Tony but she didn't think either man would appreciate her interference. He glared at Tony.

"You know Fury didn't tell me he was calling you in." Tony sounded almost bored as he flicked his eyes away briefly before responding.

"Yeah, there's a lot of things Fury doesn't tell you." He turned to Sy who was leaning against the wall of the quinjet.

"For example, who are you?" Tony asked her.

"Someone Fury didn't tell you about." She snarked. Tony frowned.

"No really, who are you? Why are you here? Why did Fury care about us retrieving you, what do you do? Does SHIELD recruit minors now? Are you his secret love child, niece, mini assassin, what? Why does the director care about you?" Sy ignored him as she looked at Loki. She almost pitied him, if she wasn't so suspicious of how easily he'd been captured. If there was anything she knew about the politics of immortal gods, was that Loki probably got the short end of the stick in his immortal life. Not that it made any of his choices ok. She remembered fighting with old cabin mates who'd never been claimed. Gods, as a rule; sucked.

Loki flinched as the storm they were flying through intensified; lighting flashing brightly and thunder booming. Sy frowned.

'Please, Lord Zeus, grant us safe passage.' She prayed. Then her eyes widened. Loki. Immortal politics. Styx.

The storm wasn't Zeus.

"What's the matter, scared of a little lighting?" Steve asked, rather condescendingly.

"Oh shit." She breathed as Loki responded. She reached for her side, looking for a sword that wasn't there.

"I am not overly fond of what follows." He said as he looked round. Thunder rumbled all around them just as a hard thump sounded from the roof of the jet.

"Thor." She said as Tony opened the cargo door. Sy grabbed at the rails so she wouldn't fall. She would rather not reveal her best kept secret tonight.

"What are you doing?" Steve shouted at Stark. Just then a loud crash of lightning flashed and a tall man landed on the gangway. His long blonde hair whipped in the wind. He slammed his hammer into Stark, sending him flying into Steve and Sy, before he tore Loki from the chains binding him to the seat.

"Thor Odinson! Stop!" She shouted in old Norse, struggling out from under the two men, but it was too late. The two gods had flown away into the stormy night. She rounded furiously on Tony Stark, the idiot who had lowered the door, which made it that much easier for Thor to get in.

"Now there's that guy." The billionaire muttered as he brushed her off, moving to the open door.

"He's another Asgardian. That's Thor, Norse god of thunder." Sy shouted over the wind.

"Think he's a friendly?" Steve asked her. Tony interrupted.

"Doesn't matter. If he frees Loki, or kills him, the Tesseract is lost." Tony marched away. Sy staggered to her feet, slowly pulling off her jacket.

"Stark we need a plan of attack!" Steve insisted. Tony didn't turn around.

"I have a plan. Attack." And he jumped out of the plane. Sy rolled her eyes as she struggled with her clothing while fighting the wind. Steve growled and strode to the door, grabbing a parachute.

"I'd sit this one out. These guys come from legend, they're basically gods." Natasha warned. Syrinx rolled her eyes. They are gods. Just not as powerful as her gods.

"There is only one god ma'am. And I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that." Steve said before jumping out himself. Syrinx frowned. She was tempted to correct him, if only to prevent him from getting blasted by Zeus. Even if he was right; not even the fussy Lord of the Sky really bothered with chitons or robes anymore, favoring dark pinstriped suits instead. Syrinx sighed.

"I better go make sure the boys don't kill each other. Or let Loki escape while they measure their dicks." Natasha glanced at her.

"You sure?" Syrinx stepped to the edge of the ramp, glancing down to see the flashes of light that were the men fighting each other. She groaned in irritation.

"Yeah." And with that Syrinx let go of the railing, letting wind rip her away from the quinjet. She reveled in the sensation of her free fall before she snapped out the ace up her sleeve.

Her wings.