Chapter 50: Vikings Game Memory

2 Years Ago
Vikings Game Memory

Gabby.

Out of everyone I miss, I miss my dad the most.  Crazy I know, but we were always close.  There was one time when Jax told me I was a 'daddy's girl', he couldn't have been more right.  Especially after the night in the woods, everything we had experienced, I needed my dad.  So when I moved away I found myself calling him every single night.  It was the only way I could sleep. 

My family came to visit multiple times a year, but it was always my dad that I wanted to stick around.  We decided that once a year we would have a Gabby/Dad/Zo weekend where we would go see a Vikings home game.  This quickly became my absolute favorite day of the year.  Zo loves this just as much as me; grandpa is her favorite.

Today is that day.  SKOL Vikings.

My favorite Kirk Cousins jersey is on with some white leggings and my yellow chucks, hair is up in a high ponytail and there is an adorable four year old dressed the exact same waiting to be picked up by her favorite person, who isn't me.  I don't blame her, grandpa is awesome.

I practically skip out of work to my car.  I'm planning on meeting my dad at my place and the we can go pick up Zo from preschool together.  I fish through my purse to find my keys and when I look up that's when I see someone leaning against my car.  Not just anyone, I see Kane.  My stomach twists with nerves as I attempt to ignore him, not making any type of eye contact.

"What are you doing here?" I ask as I unlock my car.  I haven't spoken to him in five years.  I'm not sure how he even knows where I am.  That's the big secret, right?  Where in the world is Gabby Brooks?  The girl who disappeared from Luxberg after crying rape, her best friend's murder, and her boyfriend's suicide.

"Your dad thought you wouldn't go today if he told you."

My heart sinks.  "Tell me what?"

"He couldn't come today.  He was summoned yesterday and couldn't get out of it.  How long have you been living here?"

"He's not coming?" I look to Kane with a frown.  My heart is broken, this is our day.  Why the hell did he send Kane?

"He handed me the tickets and told me to take you to the game.  Told me to wait right here at three o'clock.  Here I am.  He gave me three tickets though, who else was going?"

I roll my eyes.  "You shouldn't be here."

"Well I'm here.  Ready to take you to an NFL game.  You look good Gabby.   It's been a long time."  He places his hands into his pockets as if he's uncomfortable being here.  He looks good too.  Dark tight jeans, a black v-neck T-shirt.  His hair is messy and spiked in a good way.  He's all muscle, he always was but he's been working out.  I force myself not to look.

"Thanks" I mutter.

"Come on Gabs, let's go see a game.  I know you were looking forward to seeing your dad today.  I wasn't expecting this either.  Shit, I thought I'd never see you again..."

My eyes glare at him.  "Is that what you wanted?"

"What? No!  That's not how I meant it.  I've missed seeing you around town.  I still have your order memorized and I guess I'm always hoping you'll walk back into my bar."