Chapter 50: Vikings Game Memory

Начните с самого начала

"I assure you that won't be happening.  I'm not going back to Luxberg."

His head drops with a nod.  "I get that."

No he doesn't.  Asshole.  He called me a liar. 

Tears begin falling down my face as I get into my car.  "Go home Kane.  Don't tell anyone where I am."

He rushes around the other side of the car and opens the door, placing his ass in my passenger seat.

"Give me a day, Gabby. I'm here. Your dad says this is a big day for you every year. We will have fun. We used to have so much fun together. Your senior year sucked but before that Gabby, you were one one my best friends. I miss you. I missed you then and I miss you now. Let's have fun."

I lean back in my seat and look back at the man beside me. Do I want to do this? Let Kane into my life? It's been five years. Have I missed him too? Yes. I miss that friendship I had before senior year. That absolutely does not change the fact that senior year happened. I can't forget it. It's the reason why I am here. I started a whole new life because of people like him.

"One game. When you go home you don't mention anything about where I am or what we did other than meet up for a Vikings game."

I large grin covers his face, one I've missed. "Deal."

I toss my purse into the backseat and start the car as he puts on his seatbelt. That's when I see his eyes light up as he sees what else is behind us.

"Gabby... um, why do you have a booster seat in the backseat?"

I sigh and look him in the eye. "We have to make a stop before we go to the stadium."

He swallows hard, glances back at the seat again and then looks out his window. Yeah, not so interested now, are you? This is such a mistake, I can't believe my dad sent him up here. Why couldn't Syd come? I could have handled a sister day.

Our drive is silent. I pull up to my daughter's school, cut the engine and wait.

"How old?" He breaks his silence. I keep my eyes focused on the school doors and not on him.

"Four."

"Jax's?"

"Yep."

More silence fills the car for a few minutes, he shifts uncomfortably in his seat before clearing his throat. "Is this why you left?"

I turn to him and shake my head no. "I had a lot of reasons for leaving. So many I can't count. You were one."

"Yeah, that doesn't surprise me." I watch his eyes leave mine and peer out the window behind me. "Holy shit Gabby, she looks just like you." He smiles big as he watches a little blonde girl with a bouncing ponytail and a purple Vikings Jersey leave the school. I didn't even have to tell him I had a daughter. "She's your mini!"

I smile big at her. "Wait until you hear her. She's definitely mine."

Zo runs to the car as fast as she can, excited for her big night. "SKOL Vikings!" she yells as she crawls into her booster seat. Kane laughs and shakes his head, understanding that this is totally the granddaughter of Dan Brooks.