CC7 - Part 8

Camila’s POV

I was packing up the last of stuff fort the game in Kansas tomorrow. Since the venue was rather far away, we traveled a day early so we would be able to get enough rest before the game. Away games were hard on me, especially when I was gone for more than a day because I hated leaving Lara. I was so used to spending my nights with her and not having her around was still a hard adjustment. But it was the price I paid in order to provide for us and live my dream at the same time.

As much as I disliked being away, I knew she was in good hands. Ariana had agreed to spend the night with Lara and take care of her until I was back tomorrow evening. She had become a very good friend to me when I had first moved out to Boston. Actually, she was the first and almost only friend I had out here. Working together at the shabby dinner had been a bonding experience. The aspiring singer had been my saving grace when I had to work ungodly hours or shifts because she never minded spending time with my daughter while I was at work.

After some time I realized she was possibly developing feelings for me that exceeded friendship. And Ariana was very straight-forward and almost blunt; which I liked since I had enough confusions in my life. Asking her a few months ago, she had admitted to wanting more than friendship if I was interested as well. At the time, I had declined. My life had been an absolute mess and I was struggling financially and emotionally. I hadn’t been sure if I was able to stay in Boston with my limited resources.

But things had changed. A lot had happened in those past weeks. So for now, Ariana and I were taking things slow to see where it would go but I wasn’t opposed to it anymore. She loved Lara and Lara loved her. We were obviously good friends and she was gorgeous. On paper it seemed like a perfect match. If there wasn’t that one teammate that still held a piece of my heart.

“Are you nervous?”, Ariana appeared next to me while I zipped up my bag in the bedroom.

“Yeah, Kansas is a really good team and I’m still nervous before every game and practice to be honest. I need to prove myself every time”, I answered and met her gaze.

“Are you nervous about Lauren?”, the blunt brunette asked and I furrowed my eyebrows.

“Why would I be nervous about her?”, I questioned a little confused.

“Because you’re going to spend so much time with her again…away”, the older one sounded more concerned now and I took a deep breath. Ariana knew all about my history with Lauren. It was obvious she wasn’t fond of the central midfielder, especially after what had happened in New York. Being my only confidant, I had to tell someone and although I knew about Ariana’s more than platonic feelings, she had been a great friend to me still. The fact that she disliked my teammate was more due to her knowing all the details of our tumultuous relationship than actual jealousy…or at least I assumed.

“I told you, we are friends now. There is nothing to worry about”, I tried appeasing the girl with light-brown hair.

“I guess I don’t understand why you would even want to be friends with someone who treated you like shit?”, her voice carried even more concern.

“She’s my teammate and we have to get along to a certain extend. And I don’t want to waste my energy trying to ignore her when we can just move on”, I explained and heard her exhaling loudly. “Look, she’s not as bad as you think she is.”

“Maybe”, the other one shrugged. “I want you to know that you don’t have to feel obligated to be her friend though. You don’t have to feel bad about what happened between you years ago. If anything should feel bad it’s her!”

“I don’t even want to think about that anymore to be honest”, I said with a little frustration. “It’s over. Whatever happened between us back then or the past few weeks is clearly done. You don’t have to like it but I want to be her friend. Not out of guilt but because I care about her as just that, a friend. What I need from you is to at least accept that.”