Not Promised Future

Start from the beginning

People regarded me as rude and conceited, but only had they known it was just a part of me, being closed and alert around the people I barely had any encounters with.

For the sake of manners, I loosened up my stiffened muscles, my lips twitched up slightly in a soft smile.

"Salm," The soft and meek voice drifted my attention to the little girl clad in a cotton frock. Her doe-like eyes staring at me, her head supported by her mother's shoulder.

"Sorry?"

Aliya chuckled, patting her daughter's head on her shoulder. "She is practising to say salaam. It must be your Abaya and hijab given her a clue that you are a Muslim. And she can say, Salaam."

"Salm." Agreeing with her mother, the girl repeated, now sporting an identical smile as her mother.

I couldn't resist the genuine smile reaching the corner of my lips as I replied her salaam.

In seconds, I could sense myself going back to my bottled up self, my muscles turning rigid slowly in tension. After all, I was still in a foreign country with no people to go to, in time of need.

I hoped everything would sort out soon.

"I was watching everything," Aliya initiated, cutting off my series of thoughts. "It is sad to witness this. I pray that lady would get her shifa soon. In shaa Allah."

"In shaa Allah." I parroted.

"But are you okay?" She queried, I noticed concern in her tone. I nodded in reply. "You looked terrified then, is she someone you know already?"

I shook my head. "A fellow passenger, nothing more."

"I see," she nodded in understanding. "And--"

Attention, please! Flight number 4597 is ready to take off now. We request all passengers to assemble in gate 5. We apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Aliya smiled and stood up, and I followed her into the gate, no more words exchanged between us.

Before taking our respective seats in the flight, we greeted each other salaam. And I was glad Aliya didn't persist more to indulge in casual talks.

I sighed, spotting my seat. Once seated, I turned to see my next seat vacant. Everything happened a couple of hours ago came rushing in like a long wave.

Canada was amazing, I mused. However, nothing can beat my home. I thought.

I entered into the plane, walking down the aisle, I smiled. I was certain that I would miss Canada's infamous cold wind.

But India was warm and welcoming, I chuckled at my thought. Only if summer can be a little friendly this year.

"Finally," I grinned as I plopped down on my seat.

Having taken a quick glance at the window beside me, I knew how to occupy my time throughout the fly.

People would fall for many things, but I was always in love with the limitless sky and notorious sea, the shimmering moon and enthralling stars. Nature was always a go-to friend for me.

I sensed someone shifting beside me. Pulling me out of my thoughts, I stirred a little to notice an elderly woman struggling to sit on her seat.

Without hesitation, my hands reached out to help her. "Thank you, dear." She smiled.

I smiled, ready to turn back to the window and look at the azure sky. But she called me again.