LVI

"Good Morning, love. I hope you had a good night's sleep. Was just calling to let you know I got back in touch with my AA sponsor, everything will be fine soon. I promise. Call me when you can."

Emma listened to that voicemail one more time before closing her phone and placing it on her nightstand. She brushed her hair back and leaned against her headboard, the sheets tightly tucked under her legs. She could easily give into the negative feelings, into the disappointment and resentment, but she placed a hand on her growing belly and reminded herself she had a lot to be happy about.

"Emma?" Jenna called from outside her door. "Can I come in?"

"Yeah."

Jenna walked in with the familiar, warm smile she always had for her daughter. She shut the door quietly behind her and sat at the edge of Emma's bed. "Another voicemail?"

"Were you eavesdropping?" Emma squinted her eyes and gave her mom a sly smirk.

"Maybe." Jenna shrugged, "Sweetheart it's been three days. Don't you think you should maybe call back?"

"Mom, I can't just go back with him like nothing happened. I don't want to think about him right now, he's lucky I even listened to those messages. All I want to do right now is focus on me, and my baby. I have to start thinking of names, the nursery, a lot to figure out."

"And Killian should be a part of that. He's the father."

"I know that." She tucked a loose strand of hair behind her hear, "That is what makes this so painful. It's not some random boyfriend from high school, not some crush. It's the father of my child."

"Well, you know where my opinion lies. But above all that I'm on your team, so I'll be supportive of what you choose." Jenna gently placed a kiss on the back of her hand, "Breakfast?"

Emma nodded and smile, "Thanks."

As her mother headed back downstairs, she grabbed her phone and typed a quick text.

To: Killian
Doctor's appointment tomorrow at 9. 

She barely made it out of bed when her phone dinged with a reply.

From: Killian
I'll be there.

-

     To say the least, Killian was beyond nervous. He was back in AA, the mother of his children hated him, and he was in risk of losing his job. The school had found his absence, along with Emma's withdrawal, a "peculiar coincidental circumstance." He was sure it would not go anywhere, nor end in his termination, but the worry was there. Their last visit to Dr. Scarlinsky consisted of the news that they were to have twins, and the Braxton-Hicks contractions that followed did not do much to put his mind at ease. He knew Emma was broken and felt betrayed, but he felt at his lowest, and all he wanted was her by his side. His last attempt to earn her forgiveness was tucked within his jacket pocket, his last idea to get her back.
     Though his hopes were low, something was better than nothing.

     As he arrived at the medical office, Emma was sitting in waiting room, her ankles crossed and her hands perched up on her belly with her fingers intertwined. She looked beautiful. Her hair fell graciously over her shoulders and gave a certain glow to her sweet skin. She stared at the window whilst lightly chewing on her bottom lip - a sign that she too, was nervous. 

     He swallowed the knot built in his throat and walked towards her, "Hey, love."

     She looked at him as he stood before her, wearing black jeans and a dark gray turtleneck sweater with wine red leather jacket. Her anger and disappointment did not forbid her mind from admitting that he looked handsome, that was the initial reason they had gotten together - physical attraction. 

     "Hey." Her voice was dry. 

     "May I sit?" His hand signaled to the lonely chair besides her.

     She nodded and directed her gaze back to the open window.

     "Did you check in yet?" He avoided silence.

     "Yup." Her eyes stayed on the view to the outside.

     "Did they say how long it will be?" He tried to follow her gaze, an effort at drawing it to his.

     "Any minute now."

     His heart tightened at seeing how short she was being with him, how much resentment lay in her heart. "Emma, listen, I know everything that happened was my fault and I know I messed up in an unthinkable way and I know I broke your trust-"

     "Broke my trust?" She cut him off, her voice tense and low at a whisper. "You completely shattered my trust. And I am not discussing this anymore. Do not make me regret allowing you to be here."

     "Allowing?" He looked at her in disbelief, her eyes were now definitely meeting his. "They're my kids, too."

     "Killian, I said drop it." Their voices were noticeable in the quiet little waiting room, "Please."

     "But-"

     "Emma Jones." The medical assistant called from the door she held open.

     Killian sighed and stood to follow her into the hallway and eventually to the exam room. Dr. Scarlinsky was quick to meet with them, so the alone time did now allow for a continuation of the conversation. The appointment was brief, he checked her vitals as well as the babies and did an ultrasound. Everything was in order and she was set to deliver in early March. The doctor refused to give her an exact date to not make her more anxious. After he was finished speaking, he left the room. 

     Emma struggled to sit up and Killian helped her. "Wait." His hand lingered on her shoulder before she could stand. "I need you to please listen."

     She sighed, "Fine."

     "I know there is nothing I could say to make things better, I just don't think we should throw something as amazing as this away because of my errors. I want to be better, for you, for our family, for our life. I want this to last and I want to grow old with you." He reached into his pocket and took out a small red box. "I know where we left off in Hawaii I didn't have a ring to give you..." He opened the box and held it up for her to see.
     The ring was beautifully sparkling in the bright lights of the exam room, a silver band with a single, generously sized diamond situated on top. An elegant simplicity beyond compare. 
     Emma took in a breath and trailed her fingers down her throat to rest on her chest as she stared at the ring, "Killian."

     "I love you, Emma. And I want this more than anything. I promise I will do everything to make up every single one of my errors to you, even if I have to spend my whole life doing so. Whatever it takes, I'm here." 

     Her bright emerald eyes met the raging sea-storm that were his, a small puff of air escaped her mouth as she pressed her lips together. She took the box in her hand, holding it between her fingers. Her eyes traveled back to his, "I can't."

-

Hellooooo my loyal readers! It stills stuns me that this story continues to get views and likes, it's incredible and your support is always appreciated. I love all of you, and I sincerely apologize for my absence. Life does not seize to get in the way.

More is to come ;). The end is near.