XIII

It was nearly 1:00 am when Emma was laying in her cozy bed, reading a novel called Almost Home by Joan Bauer, she'd read a little of it every night before she went to sleep while she was in the foster home, after Kevin and Jenna adopted her, the habit just kind of stuck.

She sighed and closed the book, setting it on her bedside table. Just as she was about to turn off her lamp, she heard the rattle of pebbles on her window.

Her instant thought was Jake, maybe he was here to seek revenge for what had happened the day before, but as she got out of bed and opened her window, she sighed in relief and noticed it was just Killian.

She looked down at him, anger still in her eyes, "What are you doing here?" She yelled in a whisper.

"I thought I'd apologize in person... now please let me in, it's freezing."

Rolling her eyes, she closed the window and made her way downstairs to the rear door that led to the backyard.

She opened it and looked at him, "Get inside. Be quiet. If you make any noise, I'll murder you."

He nodded and followed her silently to her room. Once inside she closed the door and locked it, not needing her parents to find out about her secret boyfriend.

"You came to apologize. So apologize."

He looked at her and stepped closer, not so close that she'd push him away, but close enough for him to look into her eyes, "I am so sorry, love. I know I should have told you, but I was an idiot and I did the wrong thing. I just... didn't want to upset you." He cocked his head to the side in question, "Please forgive me?"

Emma looked at him and nodded, she really did see his regret, but she also just wanted him to hug her and tell her everything was going to be fine.

He read her thoughts and moved forward, wrapping his arms around her shoulders protectively. She snaked her arms tight around his torso, holding him as humanly close as possible. This is what she needed. An embrace that gave her reassurance.

"I want you to know that I'll be here, I won't leave, no matter the circumstance." He whispered.

She nodded and tipped her head up enough to bury her face against the warmth of his neck, sealing her eyes to make sure no tears threatened to fall out. She failed.

He heard her sniffle and felt the tears against his skin, "Hey," he cupped the sides of her face and pulled back to look at her, "Don't cry, I don't want to see my girl cry. Everything will turn out fine, you'll see." He gave her a soft smile as he wiped his thumbs under her eyes and over her cheeks.

She looked up at his eyes, his vibrant blue eyes that let her know that everything will turn out alright. She had him, and she's beginning to see just how lucky she is.

"I love you, so much." Her voice came out in a whisper, "and I'm so glad you're here." A soft sob came from her mouth as more tears fell from her eyes.

"I know, shh." He passed his fingers over her cheeks again, "I love you too."

She took a breath, calming herself before returning back to hugging him. "I don't want to be alone tonight-"

"I'll stay." He said knowingly.

She smiled softly and pulled away from him, laying down in her bed and leaving a space for him.

He toed off his shoes and laid beside her, realizing that they were going to be slightly cramped in such a small bed.

She reached under the covers and started pulling his shirt off, he stopped her and rose an eyebrow in question.

"I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm wearing just an underwear and a shirt, not even a bra... I feel kind of exposed so, strip." She bit her lip, not wanting to be the only one barely dressed.

"Of course." He said and took off his shirt and pants, staying in his plain boxers, "we good?" He looked at her as he kicked the clothes aside.

She nodded and turned over so her back was facing him. He hooked one of his arms around her waist and pulled her close, molding her body to his.

She smiled slightly and rested her cheek on his free arm that was currently below her head.

"How long do you have to wait to take the test?" He asked.

"Like, ten days, but please let's just not talk about it until then." She mumbled.

"I promise, I won't even bring it up."

"Thanks."

He placed a chaste kiss against the side of her neck, "goodnight my love."

She smiled closing her eyes, "night babe."

He shut his eyelids as well and they both drifted off into a dreamless sleep.

-
Almost Home is an actual book, and it's a really good story that will tug on your heart strings. Check it out.