XXII. The Golden Break-Up

Começar do início

He nods, "I know, but I'm not going to stop driving until you tell me what's wrong."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

He pulls the car to the side. "Alice, you barely spoke to me lately," he strokes my cheek lightly. "So, tell me what's wrong, Angel," he whispers.

I shake my head, removing his hand. "Nothing is wrong," I mumble, hearing his release a sigh, running his fingers through his hair. I couldn't help but imagine how great it would be to run my fingers through his hair.

He ran his tongue through his cheek and nodded, taking me back to school. When we arrived, he parked. I held the handle, feeling his hand on my free one. Neilson didn't say anything, merely tangling our fingers together. "Mi piaci molto."

"What does that mean?"

"Have a good day at school," he responds. I remove my hand. Hopping out of Neilson's car, he gave me a wave goodbye. I smile at him before walking away, hearing the students whispering about me.

"Are the rumors true? I heard Alice is cheating on Ian with an older guy," one of the girls whispered a bit too loudly.

"Look at that car! I wouldn't blame her."

"What a slut, probably spread her legs wide open," another mumble.

Ignore it, ignore it.

This is how it had always been, people pretending to be my friends in front of me, but then they would talk shit behind my back. I know rumors circulate the school about me, but no one ever dares say it in front of my face. I guess having the popular kids backing you up has its perks. Ironically, they're not the ones spreading rumors about me. When they have something to say, they say it right in front of my face.

When I walked into the hallway, a large group blocked me. I hear a familiar voice in the center of the group. "Yeah, some guys were trying to pick a fight with me, but those fuckers didn't know why they were messing with."

Struggling my way to the center, I saw Ian in a cast with a black eye and a few bruises. "Ian!" I shout.

I stomp towards him. "What happened, baby?" I try to sound like an affectionate girlfriend, placing at hand on his shoulder.

"Sweetheart, I think we need to talk," he sang slowly and excused us into an empty classroom.

"What happened, Ian?" I shout, staring at all the words signed by students on his cast.

"Your fucking obsessive stalker, that's what happened!"

My brows furrow together, lips thinning. "Neilson?"

He ran his fingers through his hair with his good arm. "Yes! Him! That dude is fucking batshit crazy! I knew I shouldn't have agreed to date you! I know girls like you are nothing but trouble."

I cross my arms. "Neilson is not fucking batshit crazy, and he would never do such a thing! He wouldn't even step on a bug!"

Ian rolls his eyes. "Dude got you wrapped around his finger," he takes a step towards me. "Look at me, Alice, my fucking arm is broken! How? Because of Neilson, your handsome prince next-door neighbor's big brother did it!"

Staring into Ian's flaming eyes, I knew he wasn't lying, but there is no way Neilson would do such a thing. He is too sweet and kind to do such a horrific thing.

"Why would he do that?" I whisper.

"For fuck sake Alice!" Ian shouted. "That dick is crazy about you! Can't you see it? How he glares at me with murderous intentions? How he look at you with loving psychopathic eyes? He is obsessed with you, where even a stranger can see it! Everyone can see it, except you!"

I played with my fingers. "T-That not true. He probably only did it because he cares about me as a young sister."

Ian slaps his hand on his forehead, throwing it back. "For a smart girl, you sure are stupid. It's like he has to put his dick inside of you for you to understand," he grumbles, releasing a deep breath.

He leans against the desk, "I want to break up."

"What?"

Honestly, I felt slightly happy I don't have to deal with a fake relationship. It's hard work being in a relationship. I have to be with Ian and post pictures online all the time to show the world we are in love. Then, I have to tell people good stuff about Ian and why I love him without throwing up.

"Alice, I had fun being your fake boyfriend and all that. But, this." He lifts his broken arm and groans a tad. "This is too much for me."

I nod, and soon after, we discussed our break up. Ian wanted me to break up with him during lunch in front of everyone, including Kayla. He told me that it would give him a reason to run into Kayla's arms.

And I thought I was the desperate one.

So, when lunchtime rolls around, we start our show.

I release a deep breath with Nina standing behind me in disapproval of basically everything. Pushing the doors open, I stomped inside towards Ian. I put on my sassy as fuck mask, crossing my arms. "Ian, we need to talk," I said in a stern tone, causing everyone to stop eating.

Ian stands up, feigning innocence. "What's wrong, sweetheart?"

"Look-" I pause for dramatic effect, "I had fun being with you, like a lot of fun." I drop some hints in front of Kayla, seeing her hands tightening around her fork, notifying she was jealous. "But, I think we should break up," I said, causing everyone to gasp. Apparently, we are known as the golden couple around the school.

"What? You want to break up?!" Ian said, unnecessarily loud, causing everyone in the cafeteria to go quiet.

I merely stand there and nod, allowing the tears to roll down, but it's because Nina is pinching me from behind, and it hurts.

"Why?" He breathes out, attempting to look heartbroken.

"Because I'm sick and tired of you not paying attention to me, Ian! It's always about football, academics, or your parents!" I stomp my foot, shoving my face into my hands.

"You know those things are important to me!"

Kayla stands up. "How can you do this to Ian?"

I did not expect that.

"What?" Ian and I said at the same time

"How can you break up with him because he wasn't giving you enough attention! Those things are important to Ian, and you should respect that!" She shouts, taking everyone back a little.

"Oh right," I mumble.

She stalks towards me, clenching her fists. "You are a little spoiled brat, Alice Lee. Everything in your life is fucking perfect, so you aren't grateful for anything!"

Standing there, I can feel more tears rolling down, and this time Nina wasn't pinching me. "You think my life is perfect?"

 "You think my life is perfect?"