17

Demi

The following weeks were almost too perfect. Wilmer went to his therapy appointments diligently, and each time he came home to eat lunch with me and tell me what he talked about that day. Today, he came home as I was washing dishes. I heard his footsteps carry him into the kitchen, then his hands touched my hips, one hand spreading over my belly.

"You're starting to show more."

I smiled softly and leaned back into his chest. "Soon I'll be as big as a house."

"I can't wait." He kissed my forehead, then took a water bottle out of the fridge. I glanced over and froze up when I saw him lift his shirt up to wipe the sweat on his forehead, revealing his chiseled abdomen. Wilmer had put on weight during his time in the hospital, but with all the running he was doing it had practically melted off. Now he was back to the fitness he had when he was in active duty.

"What?"

I blushed when I realized I'd been caught, and quickly looked away. "Nothing, you're just... sweaty."

"Yeah." He laughed, raising his eyebrows. "Running will do that."

"Your parents called earlier in the day, they wanted to know if we were coming up for their summer barbecue." 

He nodded and took a long drink. "You told them no, right?"

"I told them I'd get back to them... why don't you want to go?"

"I don't know." Wilmer sighed and sat up on the counter. "They haven't seen me since my first hospital stay and my mom's been so worried... all she's going to do is fret all weekend."

"Well when you don't call your mother after two major surgeries, they tend to get worried." I walked over and stood between his legs. "I think it'll be good for you to get a little fresh air."

"Don't you have a doctor's appointment that weekend?"

"I'll push it until Tuesday, it's not a big deal."

He sighed and shook his head. "I don't know, maybe. I'll think about it." I tilted my head back and he smiled before leaning down to kiss me. "I don't want to face them. They're not really the understanding type when it comes to mental health. They light off fireworks every year at that party, and I don't want to have to explain my reaction to them."

I sighed and ran my hands up and down his thighs. "They love you, Wilmer. I'm sure they'll understand."

"Yeah, they'll understand that I'm too weak to even watch fireworks."

"You're not weak." I wrapped my arms around his waist and hugged him. "You're the strongest person I know, Wilmer."

"You need to get out more."

I smiled at his dry comment and kissed his neck. "We we can talk all about that in therapy, after our doctor's appointments."

"Can't wait." He laughed, then kissed me again. "I gotta shower, you want to join me?"

I bit my lip as I smiled then nodded. Wilmer's eyes widened in surprise but he didn't question it, instead taking my hand and leading me to our bedroom.

~*~

"You're gonna be fine."

We were sitting in the car outside of Wilmer's childhood house, and this was his third trying to get me to leave.

"I don't want to do this." I looked over and saw his knuckles her white as he gripped the steering wheel, and his leg was shaking.

"Wilmer." I rubbed his arm then took his hand in mine. "You're gonna be fine. We can go somewhere when they light off fireworks. They won't even notice."