11

Demi

Wilmer was waiting outside the hospital for me when I pulled up at the pickup spot. He got in the car and gave me a tight-lipped smile.

"Thanks for this."

"You're welcome."

He looked out the window as I began to drive, and I gripped the wheel tighter as the tension between us grew with every passing moment.

"Listen..." He started. "I know I'm the last person you want to see or talk to... but really thank you for doing this."

"You're welcome." I stated stiffly, again.

"How are you feeling?"

"Fine?" I raised one eyebrow at him, questioning his interest.

"I mean the baby." He said softly, his eyes dipping down to look at my bump. "How is it going?"

"Oh..." I swallowed and my hand dropped to my stomach automatically. "The baby's fine. I can feel it fluttering sometimes right before I go to bed."

"Do you have any morning sickness?"

"From time to time." I answered. "It's getting better as I get into my second trimester."

"When do you find out the sex?"

"We just had a sonogram done, and my doctor couldn't tell... so probably at my next appointment in a few weeks."

Wilmer smiled, then looked down. "Do you think... I mean, would it be okay if I came to the next one?"

I sighed and kept my eyes on the road. "I don't know, Will."

He nodded, his jaw flexing as he looked out the window. "I guess I lost that right."

"I guess you did."

We were quiet after that. Wilmer stared out the window while I focused all of my energy on driving. I hated how much tension now filled the silence that used to be easy between us. The rest of the ride was almost torturous, with neither of us making any conversation to try and ease the silence.

When we got to the house, Zeus all but tried to tackle Wilmer, trying to jump up into his arms to lick his face. Once we got inside, Wilmer laid on the couch, grimacing as he ginelrgly touched his side.

"Here's a blanket." I murmured, unfolding a throw from the armchair and draping it over him.

"Thanks." He said, and ran his hands over the knitted yarn. "I remember it took you years to make this."

"Let's not go down memory lane." I sighed. "I'm going to head back now. I'm staying at Marissa's for a while."

"It's late." He protested, sitting up with a grimace. "C'mon Demi, you won't get back to the city until after midnight. Stay tonight, you can leave in the morning when it's light out."

"I'm not going to stay here. I can't stay here with you here."

"People drive crazy at night." Wilmer argued. "I don't want anything to happen."

"Like you care."

"Believe it or not, I really do." He said softly. "I don't want anything to happen to you, Demi."

I clenched my jaw, then sighed and sat down next to him. "Fine I'll take the couch. You can take the bed."

"No." He scoffed. "Absolutely not."

"You just got out of the hospital!"

"You're pregnant!" He countered. "What kind of man would I be if I let my pregnant wife sleep on the couch?"