Come As You Are

A gentle knock on the dormroom door stirred me awake early the next morning.

Misty was still in her small fort, showing absolutely no sign of motivating herself out of it anytime soon. Rolling over on to my sign so I was staring at Liam asleep in his crib beside me, I huffed out a tired sigh and forced myself from under the covers. I rubbed my hands down my face as I manuvered my way around Liam's toys and Misty's makeup kits to the door, hoping it was just a check-in.

Of course I couldn't get so lucky.

Misty's boyfriend stood in the doorway, palm pressed against the wall outside the room with an impatient look in his pretty brown eyes.

"Paige." the boy said my name with a bit of irritation. I clearly wasn't who he was wanting to answer the door.

I crossed my arms and returned the look. "Chad."

My roommate was a great person with a heart of gold. I'm sure if she were given the oppurtunity, she'd move the world for every person who asked. Her downfall was her undeniably horrible taste in men.

In the six months I'd known her, she'd been through three different guys. All Zeta Beta frat boys with bad attitudes and a reputation to back it up. Chad had been the least tolerable of the three; the other two at least had common curtesy and respect. Misty had been with him for a little over a month now and he still hadn't done as much as try to converse with me. If I were being completely honest with myself, I probably wouldn't be much for talking to a guy with an ego the size of Texas and wanting to use my roommate before tossing her aside like all Frats do.

"Where's Mist?" he questioned after a minute of silence, tapping the door frame anxiously.

I yawned. "It's like six in the morning and she doesn't have classes today. Let her sleep in."

"Move." he started to nudge the door open further, trying to squeeze through the small gap. I laughed, not moving an inch as I watched him squirm. He eventually gave up and made a gesture at the lump under the blankets across the small room. "Can you please just wake her up and let her know I'm here?"

"How about," I paused, leaning forward so he could hear me better, "you leave and I'll let her know you stopped by when she wakes up? How does that sound? Good? Like a great idea? I thought so too!"

An unamused look crossed Chad's face, a loose strand of his dark brown bangs brushing against his forehead. "You really are annoying, Paige."

"Glad you think so." I shook off the insult. "Bye bye, Chad."

I waved with a forced smile, slamming the door shut in his face once he stepped out of the doorway. I was in no mood to deal with an egocentric ass on four hours of sleep. If I had let him into the room, chances are it wouldn't have ended well.

The thought of my distaste and disliking for Chad-and the other Frats for that matter- rooting back to my bitterness toward Marcus had crossed my mind more times than I could count. Any time I passed a jock or Frat in the hall, an intese feeling of disgust or bitterness would rush through me, then subside a few seconds later.

Marcus had been accepted into one of the many Frat houses on campus upon arrival and had made sure everyone knew. He'd gone from being an asshole to an even bigger asshole in less than six months. How he was able to function as a normal human being was beyond me. The few times I'd seen him in the last few months, a new tattoo was added somewhere on his body with a new girl close behind. The one I had spotted on his neck last night was a name in a beautiful caligrpahy, but I'd never gotten close enough to be able to read it.