Chapter 5

"Katalina, get dress. We're going somewhere," Amity said when she got into my room while wearing casual clothes.

"It's Saturday. Where exactly are we going?" I asked her.

"It's a surprise," She giggled.

When I got dressed, she drags me into the car.

"Turn around. Let's blindfold you first." She wrapped a bandana around my eyes.

"Is this even necessary?"

"Of course,"

Moments later, I felt the car stopped.

"We're here. Don't take your blindfold off just yet," she said and helped me get off the car.

She guides me into her surprise.

"Okay. Take off your blindfold,"

As I take off my blindfold.

The blast of confetti surprised me, along with the cheerful greetings I received.

"Happy Birthday, Katalina!"

Unfamiliar faces greeted me with warm smiles on their faces.

Amity introduced every one of her relatives.

"Hi Katalina, it's good to meet you. I heard great stories about you from Amity," Granny Joe said.

"Huh?"

"You really are beautiful in person," said Jin.

"Uhm... thank you" the actual compliments I get are from my parents, so it's pretty new to me to hear this.

"Wow! She seems humble too,"

I talked to her family. It feels like we've known each other for years.

She told them the opposite of what I really am, and I felt really guilty that she needs to lie to them so I can have a good reputation.

"Can I talk to you for a minute, alone?" I asked her.

"Sure,"

We went to another room where there is no guest.

"Why did you tell them the opposite of my personality?"

"No, I didn't. We just have different points of view when it comes to your personality."

We went silent.

She handed me a rectangular present, "Happy birthday. I can't really afford a car, so this is what I can buy" I tear it open and saw the cutest Panda pillow.

"Hope you like it,"

I smiled. No one has ever given me any present before besides my parents.

I hugged the pillow.

So soft.

"Thank you,"

"You're... welcome,"

I stare at the window while hugging the pillow.

"Ever since I was a kid, both of my parents were always busy. Never have I ever seen them in any of my parents' meetings or any contest that I've joined. They're so busy that they couldn't even celebrate my birthday with me. They always thought that if they buy me the things that I want that will make me happy. All I ever wanted was their time and attention, and that's the thing they never gave me."

"I can give you my time and attention,"

I turn to her.

"You'd do that?"

"Of course,"

I hugged her so tight.

"Thank you. Thank you for everything,"

She hugged me back

^^^^^^^

Today was the best birthday party I ever had. I couldn't remember smiling so hard that my cheeks hurt.

"Did you had fun?"

"Super! I couldn't stop laughing at how the twins bicker at each other, they look so cute and, and..." I heard her chuckle.

"Sorry, it's just that... I never had so much fun like this. There was really no one to celebrate my birthday with--"

"Before."

"Yeah, before. It's still new to me that those strangers actually wanted to be with me for my birthday."

"You can visit them with me on my day-offs,"

"You're not kidding, are you?" She laughs a little.

"We'll go there next week,"

"Really?! I can't wait,"

"I never saw you this excited about something,"

"I never felt this excited!"

"I almost forgot to give you this" She hand's me a beautiful bracelet with a heart lock in the middle.

"It's beautiful. Thank you,"

"I hope it's enough. I couldn't afford those diamond ones, but I promise to buy you one."

I hugged her, "It's more than enough" Without thinking, I kissed her cheek.

"Sorry, sorry. I got a little carried away,"

"It's fine" She smiled.

I could've sworn I saw her cheeks turn red.

"I'll take this to your room," she said, referring to the gifts I received.

I helped her since they are a bit too many.

^^^^^^^

I closed my eyes and reminisced about the events earlier, but all I could see was Amity's face smiling at me

Damn! I remember all those horrible things to her.

She never did anything terrible to me. The least I could do was do something nice for her.

An idea pops into my head.

I know what I should do.