Chapter 19- The Walk

Start from the beginning

"Wow," Kennedy said moving towards the door. "You must love it here."

"Some days," Tina replied with a polite smile.

The guards opened the doors and let the girls in. They quickly followed Tina up to her wing and settled in to the mattresses that the maids had laid out for them.

"So, was I right Evie? Was this better than just going to eat burgers?" Tina asked as she unpacked her shopping bags.

"I suppose it was quite fun," Evie said with a smile.

"Good. Just know that for my 21st I expect you to sneak me out and come to the club with me."

"I'm in!" Kennedy said from her bed.

"How about we think about that when the time comes?" Evie said.

"Sure Evie. Now I'm tired and we've got to get up early tomorrow so are you guys ready for bed?"

"Yes please!" Kennedy said.

"Alright see you in the morning!" Tina said as she shut off the lights.

Evie sat in bed thinking about her day and she couldn't help but feel like something was missing. And she knew exactly where to find him.

After checking to make sure her friends were asleep, Evie quietly scooted out of her bed and walked towards the door. She peeked outside and was surprised to find that there weren't too many guards.

"Where are you going miss?" They asked her.

"Princess Valentina asked me to retrieve something from her brother," She replied.

The guards looked skeptical but allowed her to continue on her way.

Suddenly, as she was approaching a corner, she noticed a shadow coming closer to her.

"What are you doing up Evelyn?" Devon's voice asked from the shadows.

For a moment, Evie stood in the hallway frozen to the spot.

'Shit. Shit I'm dead. Shit. Shit. Shit.'

"Is that you Evelyn?" Devon asked coming closer.

"Oh! Hello your Highness!" Evie said, playing with a strand of hair that fell in frnt of her face. "I would've thought you would be asleep by now."

"I could say the same for you Miss Delany," He said with his signature smirk.

"I was just looking for water."

"And here I was thinking that you were coming to find me."

Evie's eyes snapped up to meet Devon's. His eyes danced with mirth and his smirk turned into a full grin.

"What? I haen't had a chance to give you your birthday present."

"You got me a gift?"

"Of course I did. It would be rude not to."

"You didn't have to-"

"No I did. Come on, it's in my room."

Evie watched as he turned and began the long trek back to his room and yet she didn't move. About halfway down the hall, he realized that she wasn't following.

"Evelyn? Have I made you uncomfortable?" He asked, his eyebrows scrunching together tightly.

"No! No definitely not! It's just, well, Tina and Kennedy will come looking for me if they wake up and I'm not there," Evie said, splurting out the first excuse that came to mind.

"This will only take a moment," Devon protested. "Don't you trust me?"

"No but I suppose I'll follow you anyway," Evie replied as she quickly walked to catch up with him.

He chuckled quietly as Evie slowed her pace to walk alongside him.

"Seriously though, do you trust me?" He asked.

"Is I didn't I would have moved out of the country by now and I certainly wouldn't be in your house. I mean, you will be ruling the country in a couple years, Your Highness."

"Just Devon. I don't suppose you call Tina 'Your Highness' everytime you see her do you?"

Evie shook her head.

"Well then Devon will be just fine for me."

"Alright Devon," Evie said with a small smile at the crown prince. "You can call me Evie."

"Evie. Hmmm I like that," Devon said smiling down at her. "Come on then, my room is currently being guarded by about 20 guards who are under the impression that I'm asleep so we're going to use the secret entrance."

"Secret entrance?" Evie whispered to him as he sharply pulled her down a narrow hallway.

"Correct, now I need you to hold onto me very tightly alright?" Devon said, reaching for omething out of Evie's range of sight.

"Hold on tightly?" Evie said, wrapping her arms around Devon's neck.

And then she was jolted upwards.

A/N- Hi guys! Happy Monday! I've gotta tell you that next chapter is my favorite one so far!!!

And, you'll get to see it on Thursday! I've decided that Fridays don't really work well for me to upload so I'm switching it up. I will now upload chapters on Mondays and Thursdays.

Love y'all and I'll see you Thursday!