The Last Thing I Ever Wanted--Housesitting

Jade's P.O.V

On Saturday morning, with no school or rehearsal, I headed over to Derek's house. In my bag I carried my leather jacket, a first aid kit, my iPod touch, and my blackberry. Basically everything I need to spend hours upon hours at Derek's house. I pulled the key Derek's mom gave me from my pocket and opened the door. I pulled out my iPod touch and threw my bag on the couch. Before even calling for Derek, I stared agape at this house. A 50 inch flatscreen 3-D Tv hanging on the wall. At least seven couches scattered throughout the humongous living room. I clime these mini steps that seperated the living room from the dining room/counter kitchen; complete with an island that had those hand shaped chairs around it.

"Wow...." I whispered.

"Like what you see?" Derek asked.

I jumped and whirled around. He was in his wheelchair, sitting in the doorway.

"Oh. Hey. Yeah, I mean sure. Your house is gorgeous." I said.

He grinned at my compliment. "Oh, and another thing," I said, suddenly remembering my palpitating heart.

"Would it kill you to let someone know before you enter a room? Are you TRYING to kill me?" I asked.

He laughed; and I blushed a deep red. I quickly tore the scrunchie from my hair and shook my head so my hair would surround my cheeks and he couldn't see my embarassment. I hadn't meant to say what I said as nearly as vehemently as it ended up coming out.

My palms started sweating. He cocked his head to the side and smirked; obviously amused.

"You don't have to hide your feelings, Jade. They are pretty obvious." he said, all of a sudden.

Surprised, I decided it was time to size him up and let him know our true status, once and for all. Just friends. What did this guy think I was so transparent?

I bent down so we were on eye level. "No, I'm not. I don't have any "feelings" for you." I replied, putting on my most confident voice. His finger reached out and twiddled with a strand of my hair. "Really?" he whispered, his hot breath making my ear(as well as the rest of me) shiver.

"You know, for an actress, you're horrible at pretending."

A bit insulted by this; I turned my head, all prepared to walk away, but he grabbed my arm to keep me there. He leaned his head up towards me, his eyes scanning mine to see what my response would be. I shut my eyes obidiently. However, instead of feeling his lips on mine, I heard him say: "Did you really think I was going to kiss you?"

My eyes flew open. I stood up straight.

"You're such a jerk for doing that!" I said loudly.

"So what I'm hearing is, otherwise, I'm not?" he asked.

"Ugh! Wipe that smirk off your face." I said.

He pouted. "I like my smirk though. You do too."

I scoffed. "What makes you think that?" I asked.

He smiled. "Because. I know what girls want; I know what they like."

I rolled my eyes. "Don't get all Juelz Santana on me, alright?"

This made him laugh. Our conversation flew way off course when I heard my phone ringing. Not that it already wasn't; on account that Derek just distracted me from addressing our true status with his smart wit. Derek wheeled himself to the opposite side of the coffee table and casually turned on the TV. The caller ID said "Jason."

Jason..... Oh! Derek's friend Jason. The one working on the play. What did he want? 

I picked up. "Hey Jason." I said.