Chapter 1 ***

~EDITED~

THE MIST THICKENED INTO a deep, ubiquitous fog- one that clung to every surface, smothering and suffocating.

I wandered through the woods, gaze drifting from the thick copses to settle upon the pack house. It rose between two snow-capped hills, partially encapsulated by louring shadows and impenetrable brumes.

The very sight of my home- well, if it deserved such a name- brought about a quiver in the hand and a weakness in the knees.

Fear.

It was seemingly the only constant in the monotonous haze of my life. I sighed, tracing the contours of the gnarled bark. As an Omega, I was inferior. Destined to serve.

Forced to submit.

I trekked further into the thicket, finding peace in the snap of twigs beneath my feet. The forest was quiet that day- perhaps because I was there. The only interruptions of the silence were the susurrations of leaves and my lumbering steps. I'd never been graceful.

I'd never been much of anything, really.

The abuse had started so long ago that I couldn't remember a time when I was safe. When I was free. Unlike most girls my age, I'd never been on a date- I'd never felt soft lips press against mine, or basked in the thrill of young love. No. Instead I ventured into the woods, seeking asylum under the thick boughs. Here I was untouchable- a rippling mirage, carved of greying hues. No one could poison my thoughts with dark deceits, nor could they raise a hand to strike me down.

We must return, Autumn. My wolf murmured, voice like a feather-light caress. The Alpha will be angry if we're late.

I laughed aloud. The sound crawled up my throat, as foreign as it was humourless. Happiness was not a part of my life. Sometimes, if I decided to sift through the carousel of half-forgotten memories, I found scattered remnants of joy, though most were too vague to discern.

The Alpha is always angry, Iola. I replied. I may as well enjoy these last few moments of peace whilst I still can.

Iola fell silent, retreating into the alcoves of my mind. I heaved an impressive sigh and closed my eyes, only to fall prey to the memory that'd haunted my existence.

My parents.

The Alpha and the Luna.

Their deaths.

"Autumn, run. Rogues are attacking- warn the pack."

Mom and Dad stood in front of me, shielding my tiny figure from whatever lied ahead. I huffed impatiently, grabbing mom's shoulders and hoisting myself onto my tippy-toes.

And there they were.

A band of five rogues, eyes black with animalistic fury and fur matted with mud and dried blood. I cringed backwards, fear seeping into my system. They wouldn't hurt mom and dad... would they?

"I'm not going to leave you, Momma." I said, blinking away tears.

I was a fighter by nature. I had to be. I was inundated by sweltering abilities, some of which I knew not how to control. The mind, the elements, the weather- they all bended to my will. I'd always been told to suppress them, to wait until my mate found me.

But I knew, in those moments, that my powers could save my parents.

"Autumn, you have to go. Now."

I saw, in my father's features, something I hadn't been privy to before. There was a solidity to his jaw and a hardness about his once kind eyes. I shrank further into mom's arms, fearing the worst. If my daddy was angry, then it was bad. Daddy was never angry.