Chapter Thirty Five: Who Are You?

Depuis le début

"She's back in Seraphine with Valek. They're taking care of castle matters while Alex is with me and you."

Sitting in silence, Mark watched as Nicholas mulled over the information he had been given. It wasn't long before he asked the inevitable.

"If she's my Queen...why don't I feel like we've met? Why don't I remember her?"

...

Sitting on the sidewalk that led to their rooms, Alexandra sat shielded by the rain, the overhead balcony of the second floor rooms covering her.

Her fingernails dug into her palms. Hadn't she promised that she wouldn't cry? She wouldn't renege on her words. I didn't think it would hurt so much, she thought, Nicholas' first words echoing in her mind.

'Who are you?' He had asked her.

Nothing in the world could have prepared her for the those heart wrenching words. She had felt as though the wind had been knocked out of her.

Steeling herself, she heard the door open from behind her.

"Are you alright?" Mark asked, coming to stand by her.

"I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?" She lied, looking up at him with a forced smile, not wanting him to coddle her or feel sorry for her.

"I just wanted to make sure." He said, clearly not fooled by her act. "Go inside. I need to check a few things."

Nodding, she slowly got up, under his watchful gaze. Opening her door, she knew he was looking for any sign of weakness.

"Will you be coming back?" She asked, hopefully.

"You need sleep...I will check up on you, later." He told her.

"Okay..." She said, the moment she had been dreading had come, quietly she entered her shared room.

Walking in, she saw Nicholas sitting up, propped up by a pillow. He was watching her closely.

"Majesty...I thought you would be asleep by now." His formal tone cutting deep into her heart.

"Umm...unfortunately, we're both sharing a room...since Mark's duty means he needs solid hours of rest...so that leaves you with me." She told him, not knowing how to explain the situation. She couldn't tell him that she was the one he loved, or that it would kill her to be apart from him. "If it's alright with you, that is...if it bothers you, Mark and I could switch."

"No, it's fine." Nicholas said, making her heart jump a little. She had thought he would object to her.

"Did Mark answer your questions?" She asked, sitting on the opposite end of the bed.

"He did."

"Then you will know not to call me 'Majesty'." She said, hating the formal sound of the word.

"I apologize. Mark said you disliked it." He smiled, sheepishly.

"Is my sister really your Lady-In-Waiting?" Nicholas asked her, after a moment.

"Yes...she is. She's also my best friend." Alexandra answered.

"Mark said you both grew up together."

Alexandra nodded. Looking around the room, she noticed that there wasn't any where she could sleep other than the bed...the couch in the room was a single seater, and she was not about to try sleeping on the floor.

"You can sleep on the bed, if you like." His voice intruded her thoughts.

"Do you mind?" She asked, trying to make sure. Nicholas must have noticed her taking a look around.

"No..."

...

Waking up in the middle of the night, Alexandra felt arms around her. Disoriented for a moment, she forgot where she was, turning to nuzzle against the source of warmth.

Nick, she thought, the familiar scent of him surrounding her, making her smile as she buried her face in his chest.

A bright flash of lightning illuminated the room. It wasn't the castle, she thought. A flood of memories of what had happened over the last few hours, engulfed her; Alexandra found it hard to breathe.

Untangling herself from his arms, she got up quietly and ran for the door. The pain so sharp and sudden, that it caught her off guard. Standing outside, she let herself cry, the sobs shaking her. Tears streamed down her face, as she wiped them quickly. From behind her another door opened.

The arms around her this time were different, but also familiar to her. Mark pulled her close to him.

"Shh...it's okay, Lexie." He said, resting his chin on the top of her head. "I know it's hard."

"I promised myself I wouldn't cry." She said, as he held her.

"It's okay, Alex. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself." He told her. "I know it must hurt that he can't remember you, especially since you love him."

Wrapping her arms around him, Alexandra held on tightly to Mark. There was still so much that scared her, there were so many unknowns. Would Nicholas even love her again?

Standing there in the rain, she allowed herself to cry. I need to get this out of my system, she thought. I will be strong, I will help Nick...and I won't cry any more...