0.1 // her happiness // natsu

|| -- ||

natsu & lucy at the library.

.................

"we've gone over these questions like twenty times already! come on natsu, ask me something that's actually difficult, i'm pretty sure I gave you three sheets with questions there should be a difficult one " lucy rolled her eyes and gave me one of her nasty looks, "i have to be super prepared for this test so stop holding back!"

"lucy you don't understand, this is the difficult sheet, i don't have anything harder than this.it's all you gave me," i showed her the sheets, she had the most interesting yet beautiful look on her face; confusion but excitement in her eyes. "stop worrying so damn much, you'll ace this test. you are lucy heartfilia after all,"

she sat down beside me and i had to sit up so i could really look her in the eyes, "i hope i will, my future kinda depends on this you know, there isn't much room for failure especially because of who my father is," she gazed at the floor upset, "it seems that everyone thinks i'm at the top of the class because of who I'm related to,"

"you've been top of your class for three years, you know why?" she glanced at me, and in the corner of my eye i caught her clenching her fists tightly and i had a feeling she was tearing up but i didn't look, "it's not 'cause of your father, its cause you've been working hard for it an' i'm telling you right now that hard work will pay off"

"that isn't what everyone else thinks natsu, i'm seen as someone who doesn't need to try and gets everything just because my father is part of the council. they don't care that he and i don't talk...they just see me as a heartfilia and nothing else" she continued quietly, "it doesn't matter how hard i work, i will always be just a heartfilia,"

"really? i think you'll be a dragneel one day,"

"shut it natsu," she laughed half-heartedly at my joke but i could tell her mind was somewhere else again, it was most of the time. since she was a child, lucy has always been a creative thinker which often meant her mind was wandering somewhere while in most classes we had; unless it was science or english because as far as i'm concerned those were the only things she ever cared about or showed any interest in.

lucy had always wanted to do a spacewalk, and she began studying and doing her best so she could be an astronaut. of course, our astronauts are slightly different, since we already live in space and don't have to fly anywhere. but there are a few individuals on the ark who do spacewalks when checking to see if the ark is in good shape, and that's where she wants to work.

"how about we continue with that quiz?"

"no way, i'm hungry. i haven't had any food to eat since last night 'cause you have been forcin' me to study shit you already know like the back of your hand. can't we take a short food break, i'm sure you're pretty hungry too?"

|| -- ||

natsu & lucy at the dining hall.

.................

we made our way to the dining hall, which unsurprisingly was pretty empty excluding the food rationers and a few younger people at a table in the corner of the hall. none of this was shocking since it was extremely late at night and most people who have jobs would be trying to sleep by now.

i had pilled my plate with whatever food i didn't pick up from breakfast and lunch today, while lucy only grabbed her dinner as we headed for a table pretty close to the window facing Earth. "not feeling that hungry?" she shook her head slowly and jabbed her fork at the potato that was in the middle of it. "you know if you wanna do good on that exam of yours you should eat all your meals love,"

she sighed and put down the fork, "yeah i know that natsu, i guess it's just the nerves really getting to me now. i just want to do well on it, it's my only way of ever being an official spacewalker of the ark and that's been my dream since i can remember. if i fail i have no purpose,"

"you always have a purpose,"

"what purpose? i have no interest in the other jobs being offered to us here, i don't want to live off my dad either you know...i want to prove everyone wrong. if i fail, i won't have anywhere to go or work where i'm genuinely happy. i'm not like you natsu, i'm not magically amazing at everything i do,"

"i'm not mag-"

"don't say you're not because you are natsu, name one subject, one place where you were ranked as less than outstanding because i can't think of one! science and english were the only things i was ever good at and i still have to work day and night to keep myself at the top of things."

i was at a loss for words, not sure of what to say i opted for holding her hand and yet i still couldn't even look her in the eyes because she got me. "i'm sorry for going off on you like that natsu, i'm just really nervous and scared; i don't know what the outcome will be and i guess i'm just thinking of the worst case scenario,"

"don't worry, i can take it...just...you'll be fine, you've been working really hard for this and like i said before, it'll pay off. i'll always be there to support you, especially when you tell me that you totally aced it," she smiled and squeezed my hand slightly, "i hope that's what I'll be telling you, thanks natsu."

"no need to thank me, love, i'm just being an awesome boyfriend is all!" i grinned earning a breathy laugh from lucy, "that you are natsu nragneel,"

"but you know," lucy looked at me as she spoke and it looked as if she was trying to hide a huge smile,

"hm?"

"your elbow has been digging at your mashed potato for like five minutes, how haven't you felt that?"

"awh shit! why the hell didn't you tell me this before, this is my favourite hoodie too..."

//

a slow start with only 1k words because lately, writer's block has been getting hard. anyways, leave votes and comments/criticism if you have any! i'm always looking to improve.

ly <3