"Erza? The ride to Vernès City takes a full 24 hours. That means there's still over 21 hours left. If you want, we can-"

"Nope. No backing down now," Erza said with a small grin. She then proceeded to watching Fairy Tail fade in the distance out her window.

After a moment of watching her, Gray suddenly raised his hand and placed a finger under her chin, tilting Erza's face towards his own. He slowly leaned in.

The redhead stared with wide eyes but did not protest as Gray kissed her gently. After a while she closed her eyes contentedly, wrapping her slender arms around his neck and pulling herself onto his lap. He smiled against her lips and encased her in his arms, protecting her even with no present danger.

He would never stop trying to keep her safe.

~Ten hours later~

Gray and Erza lay side-by-side on the queen size bed in their bunk. The stars outside glimmered and the moon illuminated the two mages, encasing them in it's dull glow.

Still wrapped in Gray's embrace, Erza was fast asleep with her head on his chest. Gray still lay awake, however, stroking the long red hair he adored absentmindedly.

His mind kept pestering him.

'This mission... I have a bad feeling about this one... Erza may get hurt and I'm worried.'

He shook his head and with one last sigh laid his chin on the top of Erza's hair and fell asleep.

He knew that, whatever happened, he would keep Erza safe.

That was all that mattered.

~Eight hours later~

"Gray! GRAY! Wake up, wake up!" Erza giggled, shaking her husband. Groggily, Gray opened his eyes. The moment he saw his wife, however, a smile tugged at his lips. She was dressed in her usual Heavens Wheel Armor, sure, but he still thought she looked beautiful.

As always.

"Good morning, love," Gray murmured. Erza's face lit up.

"Oh, Gray! You're awake! Look-quickly! Outside, the sun is rising and it's so wonderful!" The redhead laughed and pressed her hands against the window, peering outside into the sky. Gray rubbed his eyes and then sat up, wrapping his arms around Erza's waist from behind. He laid his head on her shoulder and glanced outside as well.

The sky had erupted in shades of pink, gold, and blue across it's surface, mixing into a magnificent sight to anyone's eye.

"Wow..." Erza whispered, "It's so pretty..." Her chocolate brown eyes were soft. The corner of Gray's mouth tugged up in a smile.

"Almost as pretty as someone else I know."

Erza glanced over her shoulder at him and blushed.

"G-Gray..."

"I mean it."

He kissed her gently and then pulled away, stretching and walking towards the bathroom to change. Erza was lucky, for all she had to do was requip. Gray chuckled quietly at the thought and pulled on a crisp, clean white shirt and dark pants. He didn't bother with his hair, though. Yet another thing Erza didn't have to worry about.

When Gray walked back out of the bathroom, Erza was sitting on the couch, examining their job description for the umpteenth time. Gray sat beside her and draped an arm over her shoulders casually as he joined her in reading. Erza sighed and laid her head on his shoulder, closing her eyes and allowing her hands to drop into her lap.