At my words, the wolf stops. I look down at him, taking in his sudden movement.

"What?"

I scan the distance and freeze also when I take in the sight of the wolves ahead of us.

We stood upon an edge, looking down at them.

Within the rising morning light, I could just faintly make them out. Some were resting. Others playing.

My chest constricts at the sight that I cannot join.

I bend my knees, resting my body back on my heels. I ignore the pain in my side and instead turn my head to look at the male. We are almost eye level now. His wolf is large enough that he now is the one looking down at me.

Without thinking I wrap an arm around his shoulders, leaning my head against his frame and watching the sight below us.

"You don't have to go."

He turns just slightly to look down at me. I smile up, "In all reality, you really don't have to come with me. You can stay here." I look back at the pack.

He would probably choose them.

The pack that had no Alpha.

The pack that ran as a family.

That connected so well and accepted each other.

The pack that had no fighting, no challenges- no unneeded violence. 

I might even choose them. Given the choice, it seems almost too tempting an offer.

I reflect on what would face me when I went back to Alba Rosa.

Dad who was always angry at me and himself. Mom who always tried to be the peacemaker between us yet failed to keep the peace within her own mind. Leo who hid behind glasses and within the clinic doors. And Vincent. Who carried a soul of suffering violence, that had already created agony on me.

A heavy sigh leaves me at the thought.

But they were mine.

My own family.

As much as they caused me pain and as much as they caused me suffering- they were mine. Mine that I had to protect.

I'm dragged out of my thoughts when I feel the male pull away. I sigh and close my eyes.

It's his choice Soraya.

My eyes fly open as I feel the warm scrape of the wolf's tongue connecting to my cheek.

"urgh," I laugh and wipe away the spit, "thanks."

I stop when I realize the male is eye level with me.

He suddenly turns away, heading back to the woods.

Back to the house.

Away from the pack.

I quickly stand, "you won't go with them?"

The wolf only continues walking.

I smile and shake my head, following behind him.

"I still haven't kicked your ass you know," I yell after him, "don't think because of this you're safe."

The male stops and sits down.

"Damn. Enough with the eyes," I mutter, taking in the slowly forming puppy eyes that were emerging onto his face.

He continues to stare at me until I sigh, "Fine. Fine damn it. Fine."