Part 32: Doubt

"I don't understand what happened, he has been like this for hours," Tyler mutters, watching Luke sitting cross-legged on a small stony beach.

"He must be contacting Leia..." Kylo muttered, also watching.

"This isn't very helpful guys..." Poe sits under the shelter of one of the huts, chewing on a piece of grass.

Outside, the sky had gone dark, even though it must only have been mid-afternoon. Clouds had rolled in quickly and soon any indication of the location of the two suns was completely impossible.

Rain fell in sheets, large heavy droplets streaking from the sky and landing on the stone and grasses with heavy noises.

The sea was also restless in this storm, even more than usual the waves crashed and rolled on the shore, getting dangerously close to the ship, you noticed, and yet there was no way to move it.

Luke seemed completely undisturbed by the rain, in fact, you were not sure if he noticed it.

Rey was nowhere to be seen, and you noticed the effect on Finn, he became less reclusive and joined the group again, and yet he was not fully himself. You thought back to the heated conversation on the beach and wondered what it had been about.

You retreated further into the hut and gazed longingly at the fire pit, now unable to be used on account of the rain pouring through the hole. You resisted the urge to check if your breath was visible in the cool space.

"There is nothing to see, to be honest." You recount to Poe, taking a seat next to him and letting him bring his arm around you for warmth. "Just a bunch of rain and a very soggy Skywalker."

Poe chuckles slightly and leans back against the edge of the hut, propping you against his chest.

You shut your eyes and let the sound of the rain lull you further into relaxation.

"Hey, jealous." Tyler's voice floats in from the doorway, you crack open your eye slightly and watch him gesture as if outraged to Finn about you and Poe's position.

You smile sleepily up at him.

"Come on then." You sigh and move over, making him take a seat beside you.

Tyler instantly settles, even using his uniform cape as a blanket to cover the three of you.

Kylo stays standing outside, his eyes turned up towards the rain, and his mind far from the mountain. Before you shut your eyes you think back to Kylo's heartbroken face as he relived his worst memory.

Before you can think further about his dark eyes, filled with tears unshed and shaking hand reaching up to touch a long-dead face, you succumb to sleep. Your head resting on Tyler's shoulder, your back against the hard stone wall of the hut and Tyler's cloak covering you up to your chin.

"I nearly did it once, I can do it again!"

"Kylo, this is the only way, stop arguing."

"No. I don't agree, there must be something else, more training?" Kylo's voice sounded frustrated.

"You know that isn't possible, the Force is too strong with Snoke... I don't know how..." Luke's voice pauses. "Something changed."

You open your eyes, finding yourself still leaning against Tyler. Outside the sound of the rain had eased slightly, and the steady drip from the hole in the ceiling was replacing it.

A figure that you recognised as Kylo stood a little way away from the door, speaking to Luke you assumed, who must have been hidden around the side of the hut.