Microwave-heated cold war

A ZOMBIE IN THE 23RD CENTURY

Capítulo 2: Microwave-heated cold war

Oh, hi, I see you're still reading this. Either you have nothing better to do or you are fulfilling a bet.... in short, I will continue to write this my adventure.

I was surrounded by people who took me to a building of contemporary architecture. It was very strange, those people had mistaken me for a zombie, but they were not afraid to be next to me.

The managers of the mysterious building, whose interiors resembled those of a hospital (well, a hospital from one of the Star Trek franchises), took over. Everything smelled of disinfectant and the walls were immaculate white, huge monitors were placed in one place or another to replace any sign that advertised a product or something related to the hospital.

A guy in a doctor's gown was consulting one of the monitors, apparently the sub-menus moved thanks to the movement of his eyes.

Out of the corner of my eye I could see a room with the (sliding) door between it open. A zombie in a hospital gown was sitting up and being checked by a couple of doctors who were assisted by a nurse and a couple of paramedics, the last three of whom wore the usual nurse's clothing but with long sleeves, and wore sterile gloves for surgeries.

I was already out of shock and seeing that I wasn't in immediate danger, I decided to keep pretending I was a zombie.

The instructions I received at headquarters were very specific in that regard: Unless my personal safety was compromised, I should not under any circumstances divulge information regarding my mission. In this case, that I came from the past.

I was taken to an area where I was stripped naked and then taken to an automatic shower. The water tasted funny, it sure contained disinfectant substances, then some automatic dryers dried all over my body. In this whole process I didn't have to take a single step, the corridor was formed by a kind of moving floor similar to a conveyor belt.

At the end of the corridor, some nurses waited for me, dressed me in civilian clothes and then took me to the street.

Wow, for a moment I thought they were going to send me to a doctor like that other zombie, which would have exposed my act. I guess this whole zombie cleaning and dressing situation is pretty common these days.

Seeing myself out of danger I decided to look for some information about this place, more specifically about the zombies, so that I could move through this time without arousing any suspicion.

Did you see those monitor booths from the movie The Wrecker? No, not the Disney movie Ralph the Wrecker, but the other one with Silvester Stallone, you know, the one that plays Rocky and Rambo.

For at this time they exist and are multipurpose. They serve as ATMs, internet, whatever you want, except for suicide booths like in the Futurama series.

Apparently the zombie virus was caused by the reactivation of the Cold War, you know Russia and China versus Europe and the United States. A whole'cocktail' of viruses came into action in the Middle East following the nuclear disaster that struck India and Pakistan.

Everyone knew that India and Pakistan would go (again) to war, with the addition that this time they would do it using atomic bombs.

Millions of dead in both countries, however, politicians in those countries realized that they could no longer play war games with nuclear cucumbers and peace came. The problem is that before peace was signed, things got hot in the Middle East because of the war. Israel vs. well, everyone else.

Israel had nuclear cucumbers and as its enemies did not count on this, they used bacteriological and viral weapons provided by Russia and China, as they feared that Israel would enter the very capital of Syria, overthrowing the Allied dictator.

The radiation that covered the planet was not a problem because it was solved quickly (I will tell you how it was done later). The problem of people turning into zombies, well that couldn't be solved.

You see, between the man and the chimpanzee, there's only a three percent difference in genetic material. Only three percent keep us from throwing shit at each other (but we do throw atomic bombs).

The brainiacs (read here, scientists addicted to money), believed that because of this the animals would not be affected and were right, however, the birds turned out to be immune carriers to the disease and spread it around the globe. And hocus pocus goat's foot... zombie apocalypse!

The zombie apocalypse, was it just like it was seen in the movies? Well, yes and no.

Zombies bit humans left and right, adding more and more hordes of "undead", but with one characteristic, they only did so if provoked.

The human brain is something mysterious, all the areas of the brain that correspond to language, logic, etc. have already been mapped. However, let us take the case of people who for one reason or another do not have certain parts of the brain. Established mapping changes in certain people.

A zombie is aware of his environment, although in a limited way, and this can be described as life. Yes, zombies are alive and as living human beings they enjoy rights.

It was the Catholic Church that was the standard bearer in the struggle for the recognition of the rights of zombies and this position became universal law throughout the world.

So the zombie apocalypse ended because people stopped shooting at the zombies and they went about their business thinking about new and passionate ways to watch the grass grow.

I'm sure you're wondering at this point why the zombies didn't rot after two centuries, my dear readers, you'll know that in the next chapter.

CONTINUARÁ...