Twelve

"Wake up, Gee," Frank whispered, shaking me. Ugh. Do I have to get up now? I'm so tired...

I sat up and rubbed by eyes, then stretched as I stood up. The scent of food hit my nose, making my mouth water. I must admit that I was hungry.

"Here, Gee. I convinced someone to buy us food while you were asleep," Frank said, handing me what looked to be a sandwich. I took off the paper wrapping and noticed that it is indeed a sandwich; it's a bagel one with bacon, egg, and cheese. I took a bite, the food savory to my taste buds. I must admit it is pretty good, despite probably being high in fat. I'll just eat half and give the rest to Frank.

"Thanks," I said.

"You're welcome," Frank replied, taking a bite of his sandwich. "When we finish eating, we'll head out. Sound like a plan?"

"Yeah, I guess so...," I said, sighing deep down. I still think that escaping with Frank was a mistake. Not only am I stuck with someone that's not all right in the head, but we have no place to sleep and barely anything to eat; we got lucky this time with the breakfast sandwiches. Staying in Monroeville all of a sudden seemed like the better option. At least there we had a place to sleep and were checked on so nothing bad happened. Here, we have nothing. But I couldn't afford to lose Frank. Someone has got to be there to protect him, and he would not get that if he were to be transfered. That person is me.

We soon finished up our sandwiches and headed out of the alley we stayed in overnight. We began to walk down the street, unfamiliar faces passing us by. Frank looked so animated as he walked; he was that excited to see his daddy.

"This is gonna be great! My dad says that when we find him, we will go back to stay at his house. We'll watch movies and eat junk food and stay up all night! It'll be so much better than staying in Monroeville. Right, Gee?"

"Yeah...sure," I said, going along with Frank's false fantasy. I know I had to tell Frank the truth sooner or later, even though it would break his heart. I've come to the realization that we shouldn't have escaped. This was a bad idea. We have barely any food, no shelter, and so on. What if something bad happens to us, like get murdered? Chris was right; the streets of NYC are unpredictable.

"You alright, Gee?" Frank asked in a concerned tone, looking at me worriedly.

"Yeah," I said, lying. "I'm fine,"

"You don't seem like it. Come on, tell me what's on your mind," Frank replied. I sighed deeply, deciding to tell half the truth of how I feel.

"Don't you think that maybe escaping was a bad idea?" I asked. "I mean, we are stuck in the middle of New York City with no food, no shelter, and we're putting ourselves at risk of something happening to us--"

"Gerard, we'll be fine!" Frank whined. "We've got this. My dad says that when we get to him, he will take us in, and we will have a place to stay. I swear we will be fine!"

I didn't know what to say. I just can't say the truth about Frank's dad. It would break his heart. But then again, I do know for a fact that Frank's dad is not waiting for us. He's not even alive anymore. Sooner or later I gotta tell Frank the truth, now that I know for a fact that this whole thing was a bad idea.

"Okay...," I said, nodding my head. We continued to walk down the street in silence, not making eye contact with each other. We passed by a series of stores and restaurants, but I stopped when I came across a store that has a bunch of tvs in the display window. Frank stopped with me to look at the televisions that showed some commercial for some brand of shampoo. When the commercial ended, it went to a news station...and that was when I felt my heart stop. Our faces were on the screen, with a caption under us reading "Two patients escape from New Jersey mental hospital". I seriously wish we're dreaming...