Eleven

After riding with Chris for about an hour, Frank told him to stop and drop us off once we arrived into the heart of New York City. Chris pulled over and let us out.

"Sorry I'm broke. I would lend you a few bucks," Frank said, talking to Chris through the rolled down window of Chris's pickup.

"It's all good. Just happy to help out," Chris replied. "Stay safe, you guys. Downtown New York can be unpredictable,"

"We will. Thanks," Frank said before Chris drove away. Frank waved bye to him, then turned to me. "I'm hungry. We're gonna have to look through the trash to see what we can get our hands on,"

"Oh...okay," I said, nearly puking at the thought of having to dig through garbage to find food. I'll pass. Frank found a trash can and started to dig through it, pulling out a half-eaten hot dog and taking a bite. I cringed.

"You want anything? I'll go digging for you," Frank said, speaking with a mouthful of hot dog in his mouth. I shook my head.

"No, thanks," I said.

"You sure?" Frank asked.

"I'm positive,"

"Okay,"

Together, me and Frank walked down the sidewalk, the spring breeze hitting our faces. I still can barely believe that we're not in Monroeville anymore. No more therapy sessions. No more Nick and Max and everyone else at Monroeville. No more questionable meals. And, thankfully, no more being thrown into padded rooms. It still felt like a surreal dream that I can't wake up from. At any moment, I could wake up and be back in my bed at Monroeville. Frank and I are now together though, and we can't be separated. It's just the two of us, like two peas in a pod. Nobody can separate us.

_ _ _

As we continued to walk down the street, we watched as the sun set until the sky was dark and starry. We retired to sleeping in an alley. We found some newspapers to use as blankets and cardboard boxes as shelter. No matter how shoddy the conditions were for us, I was willing to stay with Frank. Like I said before, nothing could separate us. After setting up our boxed fort, I laid down next to Frank, gazing up at the night sky.

"Isn't this great, Gee? We're finally free!" Frank said, genuine glee in his voice. I nodded, smiling a bit.

"Yes. You and me, baby," I replied. To my surprise, I suddenly felt an arm wrap around me behind my neck and over my shoulder. I snuggled up next to Frank, my body fighting for warmth against the spring cold. I then closed my eyes, trying to fall asleep.

"Gee...I don't think I can sleep," Frank said suddenly, sitting up.

"Why not?" I asked.

"Something's on my mind,"

"What's that?"

Frank didn't reply. He just stared off into the distance, his face void of any emotion. He looked deep in thought.

"There's something I wanna do," he finally said.

"What?"

Silence again.

"You know what? Forget it," Frank said, lying back down. I must say, I am really damn curious. I need to know what's on Frank's mind.

"No, what is it?" I asked.

"Just forget it, Gee," Frank sighed.

"No, I wanna know what it is,"

"Why?"

"Because...because I just do," I said. "Come on, Frankie. Tell me what's on your mind,"

"I'm scared that you'll judge me or look at my weird though," Frank replied.