Chapter 62

Elizabeth's Pov 

I hardly slept while in the carriage. I kept falling in and out of consciousness. An hour awake and hour asleep, waking up from a nightmare, calm my self down and an hour later repeat. I hated this. I hated not being able to know what is happening with Phillip as well as not being able to know what is happening back at home. For the whole time all I could feel is this endless pit in my stomach like nothing could make it go away. Every turn of the carriage wheels would make me feel worse and worse. Every passing tree meant I was one step closer to Phillip while also solidifying the fact that I was just a far away from him as before. 

I couldn't help but to feel guilty. The guilt sat both within my chest and my mind. I had the chance to go with him to Montreal and I didn't go. I didn't go and now he is sick, away from me. If I had gone I could of stopped it, making sure he didn't spend to long in the cold or ensure that he didn't get affected while he was in passing towns. I mean, someone could of sneezed or coughed on a surface without him knowing, hence allowing him to get it. I could of stopped that, I don't know how but I could of if I had just gone with him.  But the guilt building up inside me mirrors that of the ice outside the carriage, but this type of ice couldn't be melted by myself. I needed him to be better then it would go away, not completely but partially. 

The moment the carriage pulled up at what I assumed to be Countess Adele's residence, I don't even remember getting out of the carriage. In an instant, I was at the door, suitcase in hand, knocking on the door until someone answered it. My fingers tighten around the handle as someone opened the door and called for Countess Adele, pulling me inside from the cold.  She quickly introduced herself as Ailsa (Thank you @alltheangelss for the name), Countess Adele's lady-in-waiting, before taking me to Countess Adele. My dress had been soaked in mud and water up to its hem on the way to the door, and I felt awful about walking through the house like this. But I will apologize for that later, right now all I need to know is that Phillip was going to be okay. 

Ailsa opened a door for me, revealing Countess Adele and a man talking, seriousness etched upon their faces.

"Countess Adele, Miss Elizabeth Carlyle is here." Ailsa announced in which Countess Adele beckoned me over. I didn't even get the chance to thank Ailsa for bringing me here before she left and I quickly made my way over to Countess Adele.

"It vis a pleasure to finally meet vou Miss Carlyle." She stated, her French accent extremely evident, "This vis Mr Gilbert Brooke, the doctor I sent vor Phillip"

I shook his hand, the coldness of my own startling him almost. I couldn't help myself but to cut the introduction. "How is he?" I asked hastily, pretty one hundred percent sure that the worry and anxiousness was evident on my face.

His smile was sincere as he explained to me Phillip's condition. Scarlet fever. He had given him medicine and he should begin to make a recovery within the next twenty four hours. "He would of been a lot worse if Ms Calloway didn't contact me straight away."

Yeah, I could not help my self but to give her a hug. She laughed at it but I was almost in tears thanking her for basically saving Phillip's life.

"Am I allowed to go see him?" I asked Mr Brooke when I let Countess Adele out of the hug.

"You have had scarlet fever before correct?"

"Yes, when I was a child." I replied, to which he said I could visit Phillip since I had already had the fever.  Countess Adele thanked Mr Brooke for coming so quickly, giving him a kiss on the cheek. 

Countess Adele took me to the room where Phillip was staying, while also explaining to me the treatment ensure Phillip would have a quick recovery.  "Mr Brooke vaid that he vis to be kept under a constant temperature, vich means he cannot put blankets on and off.  He vis only to have broth, vich Alisa is making currently,  until ve request food and vis medicine is to ve given to him twice a day. Also, Mr Brooke said to keep a cool rage upon vis head." She paused just outside his door to explain that she had given him some new clothes and was currently steaming his old ones in order to get the bacteria out.