Chapter 50

Phillip's Pov

Lizzy left the room not too long after, going to get some well deserved rest after nursing her mother. Even though I had showed her my own scars, the feeling of uncertainty never left me. Constantly reminding me of the secret I have been keeping.

My winter coat was hooked upon the coat rack, darkness slowly creeping over it as I could hear the letter sitting in my coat pocket screaming out across the room. I roughly raked a hair through my hair. It would have to wait until after the ceremony next week, I mean Lizzy was already so stressed about the wedding, despite denying she was, I knew that all the attention that the newspapers and random people of the town kept coming and asking for invitations, or details about the wedding. I couldn't make a strenuous situation more strenuous. And I couldn't put Lizzy through that. Not now.  

Elizabeth's Pov 

I shut the door quietly behind me, sliding down it and onto the floor. Massaging my temples I began to make a mental list of everything that needed to be done for my mother, for the house, for the circus and for the wedding. The week ahead was guaranteed to be hectic. I ended up sitting at the vanity, pulling a notepad and a fountain pen out of a draw and jotted down everything I wanted to get done. The pen flowing effortlessly across the page, each swirl of the letters connecting to the next. It was almost calming in a sense, the way the ink expands upon the page. 

It was a long list. A very long list. About two and a half pages of everything that needed to be done.  I raised my head slightly, noticing  my reflection in the mirror in front of me. I could visibly see the ash like circles under my eyes as well as the several paper cuts on my finger tips that had turnedfrom red to black with ink and dye from the endless papers I had wrote and had read thatday. My brown hair still fell just below my shoulders in what she had come to known as abraid, but most people called it a 'mop'. It hadn't grown any further since being cut after the fire. The stress had become evident in my complexion, highlighting the lack of self-care over these past few weeks. 

I didn't really mean for all this to happen, not looking after myself as well as I should. But there was always something to be done or people to see or problems to fix while attempting to stay calm on the outside, while really your are only holding yourself together by a single piece of thread.  It was something that I had always done; put others before myself. I mean, I don't mind going without so I can help others. And honestly, I had gotten used to having only 5 or so hours of sleep, so that didn't phase me much.  And my nightmares hadn't gotten much better at all, in fact I think they have gotten worse. But I couldn't tell Phillip that because he was just getting his under control and I had been helping him with it. If I let him know then he would insist we stop with his nightmares and focus on my own. 

An overwhelming sensation of tiredness over cam me. I rested my head on my folded arms which were on the vanity as I let my eyes shut. I must've been asleep for about three hour or so when Phillip placed his hand on my shoulder, shaking it slightly so I would awaken. Little beads of sweat had formed on my forehead from the intensity of my dream as I quickly removed them and stretched my arms above my head, hiding any remanets of a nightmare. Phillip handed me my coat as I began to make my way to the door, picking up my list so I could start it. There was only a page there though.

"Phillip?" I asked, stopping in the doorway. "Is the other half of my list on the vanity there?" I questioned as I searched the pockets of my coat. 

"No. It is right...here" He said as he searched his own pockets, pulling out a crumbled piece of parchment and handing it to me while keeping hold of my other hand. 

My own calligraphy had been marked out with thick black lines, something I usually do when I complete them. 

"You did all of this?" I asked, a little bit surprised. 

"Why the surprise?" He joked as he pulled me closer to him, into his chest. He lowered his voice into an almost gentle whisper. "I came in when you fell asleep as saw this," He held up the piece of parchment, " stuck onto your hand. So I took it and began working on it." Phillip let go of my hand, wrapping his arms around my waist. 

"Lizzy, you don't have to do everything alone. Everyone is here to help out. I am here to help out. " 

"I know" I say in an almost whisper, trying to convince myself as well, looking down to the ground

Phillip lifted my chin up, and pressed his lips against mine. The kiss obliterated every thought. For the first time in forever my mind was locked into the present. Into the now. The worries of the day evaporated like a summer shower onto a hot car. The list I had to complete disappeared and my usual mode of hurrying from one thing to the next was suspended. I had no wish for the kiss to end. A kiss like this was a beginning, a promise of much more to come.I pulled away, after smiling into the kiss. I couldn't help it, every time we kissed butterflies and sparks flew through me, causing me to smile. As well as resulting in the slight pink tinge on my ears and cheeks. 

We both just stood their for a while, Phillip yet to remove his arms from around my waist. The chime of the clock woke us both up from our trance as it sounded 1pm , telling us that we needed to go into the circus. 

"We better start to head off to the circus." Phillip said, letting go of my waist and scratching the back of his neck. 

I placed a quick kiss on his cheeks before leaving him to go pack food for tonight as well as to double check on my mother. Despite seeing happiness, joy and the fading of a blush, a part of me still saw uncertainty.I shook of the feeling on uncertainty towards it and gave a small smile before walking out of my bedroom. 

A/N

Yay 1154 words :D. 

Question of the day:

What do you think Phillip is hiding? 

Have a great day/night. 

Maya