Chapter 57

Elizabeth's Pov ( A few days later) 

It had been almost four days since we went over to the Barnum's and I have to say, I think I have been going pretty good. I haven't been trying to get as much done during the day, not longer working by a closely timed schedule which would ultimately make me panic if I missed a deadline. Just taking it slowly as doing a few things a day and giving myself time to do things for myself, like sit and read. My nightmares were still there but I wasn't freaking out over them, I would simply wake up and tell myself it wasn't real, ensure that Phillip was still there hence proving that it wasn't real, before drifting off back to sleep. 

My mother had left only a day ago, returning to her life of misery, despite my protests and Phillip offering her to stay as long as she need be.  She just said she needed to go back and that was all. We had begun to pack the house up, ready to move into a smaller flat once we found one, that is when the letter came.

It was addressed to Mr Phillip Carlyle in a black ink that would not smudge. Perfectly drawn and executed across the blank white page, with a gold wax stamp on the opposite side. Phillip quickly undid the letter and skimmed over it, a look of happiness swirled itself in with one of sadness.

"Phillip? What is it?"  I inquired, settling the books I held in my hands down. 

"They want me to come talk to them about the circus." He said, astonished as his eyes quickly flicked over the letter once more.

"Who?"

"Countess Adele Callaway."

"More information?" I asked as I dusted the particles of fuzz and dust off my hands and onto the denim overdress which I wore. 

"I met her when I was in France with one of my plays, before the circus. She and I talked for a bit and she said that my work lacked humanity and that she wished for my to invest in something more inspiring." He explained as he sat down on the ottoman, close to the fire.  "She is offering to invest a larger amount of money not only in the circus but having heard about our wedding, in us as well."  He held the letter in disbelief, watching the fire crackled and leap across the fire place. 

"I can't go." He said abruptly, placing the letter upon the table. Phillip's icy blue eyes met mine and my eyebrow raised automatically. 

"And why not?" 

"She wants me to visit her in Montreal, that is almost a two day trip just to get there. Meaning I would be gone for a week." 

"I will be fine." I stated as if it was obvious. "Go, Phillip. This woman must think a lot of you if she is writing from Montreal for you to come see her. It is only a week, 7 days, I am sure I will be fine on my own." 

"Are you sure?" He asked hesitantly. "You could always come with me." 

"I would but someone needs to watch over the circus." I addressed. With all the set lists and equipment checks as well as advertising and a dozen other things, I couldn't really leave Lettie, Anne or W.D to deal with it all without any prior experience. 

He stayed silent, internally debating whether or not to go. 

"Phillip," I began. "Go, I will be fine. And if anything happens, I will tell Anne or Lettie." I re-assured, knowing that the only reason he was debating this was because of my slow, but steady, recovery. 

"Promise?"

Smiling, I nodded as I held out my hand for him. He took it graciously as we went a began to place some extra items in a suitcase, so he could leave for his journey before the next, and hopefully the final, winter storm.

****

The carriage came to pick him up, a mere over an hour later. He waved goodbye, placing a firm but gentle kiss upon my lips before dashing off to hop into the carriage. The snow fell gently around me as I watched the carriage turn around the corner of the road, disappearing out of sight. 

A sigh filled my lungs. Seven days...what on earth could go wrong?

A/N 

Thank you

for the name "Adele". I am excited for you guy to learn more about her in a following chapter. Phillip is going to Montreal and Lizzy is staying in New York, so get ready for a divergence in Pov's as two completely different things will be happening (but both play important roles). 

I know I said I wasn't going to update tonight but I really needed to take my mind away from exams. I had an awful one today, lets just say that the teacher put something in the test that we hadn't learnt and it was a 8 mark question....

But on the brighter side I have one more exam tomorrow then I have a break for 6 days. So YAY!!!!

Have a good day/night.

Maya