Chapter 42

Lizzy's Pov

Anne and Lettie insisted that we go into the market place to find a wedding dress, to which I reluctantly agreed upon. There were two things I was reluctant about in regards to the wedding dress;

1. I didn't really want a wedding dress. Just a simple gown, that was inexpensive, would do. I could get married in my leotard and I would not care. 

2 . The circumstances I had to buy the dress under. 

Anne and Lettie talked to each other about what types of dresses they should look for. Talking about all different sorts of fabrics and styles. Lets just say the only two words I understood from their conversation were fabric and dress. 

We went to the store where I purchased the gold dress, Katherine still vividly working on tailoring new dresses for every customer who walked through the door; regardless of who they were. 

She came over to our trio the minute she saw us and began to talk to Lettie and Anne about what they were looking for. I began to wander the store, looking at the endless rows of dresses of all sorts. Different hues of each colour, diverging from light to dark - almost giving a sort of rippled effect among the fabric. 

I let my fingers graze the edge of each dress as I made my way from the back of the store to the front. Katherine holding a dress in front of Lettie and Anne getting their approval .  I peered over the two, attempting to look over at the dress. It was white, obviously, but it was different from the numerous other dresses in the racks. It didn't have puffed sleeves or a large crinoline. It was quiet simple aside from the extensive amount of hand embroidery. Roses and vines made their way in the dress, swirling and twirling with each other before it left the fabric and made its way onto the sheer fabric of my shoulders and sleeves. The train was long as well, a couple of feet at least.  

Katherine placed it into a fabric bag, wrapping it up so gently, that not even a small crinkle would make its way into the dress. Lettie paid for it, saying it was a gift from her despite my vivid protests.  

I was escorted out of the store by Anne while Lettie finished up the payment, whispering something to Katherine before leaving the store with us. 

*****

"You have to try the dress on" Lettie insisted as we walked through the circus tent, the dirt ground almost comforting underneath my flats. 

I shook her off instantly. "I have plenty of time to do that. Now, I just want to practise." 

"Lizzy!!!!" Two little girls yelled as they ran across the room and jumped up on me. "We've missed you." Helen said as she hugged my waist. Caroline looked into the bag, seeing the dress as she requested I tried it on for her. 

Now when I said I would later, she gave me the biggest puppy dog eyes . Forcing me into trying on the dress, to which all cheered for. Lettie, the girls and Anne followed me into my dressing room, waiting outside before I invited them in to see the dress. 

It fit perfectly, like I was destined to wear this dress. The lace of the dress flowed effortlessly into the train, accentuating my height a little more than usual. 

I invited everyone, plus Charity (who had now joined us) in to see the dress. Anne sitting me down so she could try a hairstyle out for the wedding. I asked if I could get changed but was meant with a wave full of no's and Helen stating that "we had to get to full effect" which was then followed by Caroline telling me that it was considered bad luck if we didn't try everything on before hand. 

While Anne was doing something to my hair, Mrs Barnum brushed some light make up onto my face. Highlighting my natural features instead of covering them in white powder which so many others did. 

I could feel Anne placing pins into my hair, majority of them stabbing my head in the process. And soon enough my hair was off the back of my neck and pin, looped and styled into something Anne and everyone else marvelled at. 

"Your butterfly clip?" I stated in awe, as I gazed in the mirror at the hairstyle and makeup done by Anne and Charity

"Your butterfly clip?" I stated in awe, as I gazed in the mirror at the hairstyle and makeup done by Anne and Charity. "Thank you, but I think I should probably get to rehearsal now."

"What is your something blue?" Lettie asked as I went to move towards the door.

"I'm sorry?" I questioned, not entirely sure what she was talking about. 

"For good luck, a bride should have something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue. Your dress is new." She said as she gestured to the dress. "The butterfly clip is borrowed. So you need something blue and something old." 

Anne went scavenging through the dresser, pulling everything out to find what she was looking for. "Found it!" She called out as she held up my blue scarf, the one I would usually wear while performing. She placed it around my waist, making a small blue sash out of it. "Your something blue."

"So what will be your something old?" Helen asked, sitting on a barrel of hay. 

I was about to reply when I heard a large clang from outside and, instinctively, moved toward the door of the dressing room.

"I shall go check that out" Anne said as she slide out of the room. Not letting me see even an inch of what was happening outside.  Just as she did, Caroline pulled out a small necklace from my jewellery box (which only contained this one item). 

"What's this?" She asked, her tone filled with curiosity as she played with the necklace. 

"My mother gave that to me."

It was simple, just a gold chain with some light blue stones on it. It just sat upon my neck, no extra pieces or charms. Just a few beautiful stones and a small gold chain. 

Caroline passed it to Charity who then connected the clasp around my neck. 

"There." Charity said as she took a step back, allowing myself to see what had become of me in the mirror. 

I was still me. Still Lizzy. But just with a fancy dress. But I could still see me. 

Caroline and Helen took me by the hand, leading me out into the circus stage. 

"Um, girls? Phillip is not meant to see me before the wedding." I half sated and hald questioned as I got dragged out more into the light. 

There were little candle lights everywhere and flowers by the dozen. Rows of chairs sat on either side of the hand made isle, as I could see Phillip waiting at the end of it. Dressed in a suit. Alongside Barnum who awaited in the centre, right besides Phillip. W.D was in his burgundy suit also waiting besides Phillip. Giving me that proud big brother look.

Anne, who was now wearing a green gown, walked up to me and handed me an bunch of my favorited flowers, sunflowers. 

"You wanted it to be a surprise." She stated as she took my arm, and began to walk me down the isle.