Chapter 9

Anne, W.D and myself had taken the rest of the afternoon practise off, to rest. Mr Barnum insisted that we did after the eventfulness of the last 24 hours. 

Phil....Mr Carlyle, boy that is going to take some getting used to. Calling him Mr Carlyle instead of Phillip. I was probably a bit too harsh but every time I see his face, all I can see are those two people, giving us disapproving looks. Him letting go of my hand as he is embarrassed to been seen with me. 

Anyway, Mr Carlyle got us three a carriage to take us to our apartment. It was quite but the silence seemed to speak louder than any words that could of been exchanged. I sat between the two of them, or more correctly squished between the two of them. 

When we arrived at the apartment, Anne and W.D got me food and water as I sat on the couch, after being instructed to sit by Anne. And when Anne tells you to do something, its best you do it. Never ask questions. 

W.D boiled me a potato for lunch as well as giving me some beans. They sat and watched me eat, quietly observing my every move. 

"Guys. I'm fine, there is no need to watch over me like a hawk." I said between bites.  They both got up and continued to potter around the living area, still watching me. Anne went out of the room before entering a few moments later. 

"Here is your Wig and costume, you left them side stage when we were back in London." Anne stated as she placed the costume beside me and began to pin the wig into place. 

As Anne went to place a pin behind my ear, she leant down and whispered." Are you going to tell me what happened at the theatre." 

"Someday." I said, looking down at the old rug on the floor. I know I should tell Anne what happened, she is basically like a sister to me, but I don't really tend to tell people what happens with me, what happens inside my head or anything like that. 

Once the wig was pinned into place and my costume was on, we all began to head back towards the museum. Anne gave me a very large shawl as well a large coat to cover my costume and my wig, so we wouldn't be stopped by to many people. 

****

I held onto W.D's hands as he swung upside down with his legs wrapped around the trapeze, it being the only thing keeping the two of us from falling to the ground.

He let go of my hands and as I spun through the air, I saw Phillip standing backstage. His head only just peering around the corner to watch the act.  If I didn't focus myself sooner, I would of missed Anne's hand. 

I latched onto Anne's hand before arriving onto the finishing platform. I gave a quick bow before Anne and W.D. joined me for our trio bow as we swiftly moved off stage. 

We had a small break, grabbing some water, before going back out onto the stage to perform "This is me." The crowd favourite. 

Lettie centred herself in the stage and began to sing and as the beat picked up, each one of us went out individually and joined her. 

I was last as I was standing right next to Lettie. The crowd was already singing in response by the time I got out there. 

I loved this song just because it stood for everything I believed, everything the circus believed in. That we should see the  so call "flaws" which society outcasts us for and embrace them, embrace who we are. 

"I'm not scared to be seen. I make no apologies. This is me."

I saw Phillip looking at me during this line, and as I caught eyes with him. I made it very clear that I am proud of who I am, the colour of my skin is something I am proud of.