Chapter 34

Lizzy's Pov 

I awoke to find myself in the pink gown Megan had lent me last night. I tapped myself on the head when it dawned on me; I must of fell asleep in the carriage ride back and then Phillip carried me inside. 

I quickly got changed, after some struggle to remove the dress, into a pair of shorts and a light tee shirt as well as throwing my hair up into what seemed to be a bun. I could feel beads of sweat forming on my hairline already, today's temperature already rising.  I felt a small cough form at the back of my throat but quickly pushed it away.

I opened the door to be swept away by the most amazing smell coming from downstairs. Me being, well , me - I kind of had to investigate. I walked down the stairs, quietly , attempting to figure out what the smell was. I stuck my head around the corner of the kitchen to see Phillip, covered in what looked like flour and, maybe, milk? 

"Phillip?" I questioned, swinging myself around the corner to see him fully. 

"No, no, no ,no ,no, no. You're not meant to see this. It is suppose to be a surprise." He protested as he tried to push me out with his floury hands. 

I stood up on the tops of my toes, to see over his shoulder. 

"What smells so... are those beans?" I said excitingly as I moved out of his hold and over towards the bench.

On the bench was two plates filled with an assortment of different breakfast goods. 

"I'm trying to give your a surprise and you just ruined it." Phillip fake pouted as he walked over and stood in front one me, his hands on my waist. 

""No it is very sweet of you, but there is not way you are getting in the way of me and..... bacon?!? and biscuits and ohh is that an egg?" I said, looking at everything on the plater. I got a laugh of Phillip before he left the room to get changed into some cleaner clothes. 

He made breakfast for me? 

I could feel my hear racing at a million miles and hour as I looked at everything which he had placed out on the dining room table; cutlery, napkins, flowers - the whole lot. He had even put out my favourite flowers, lilies, something I mentioned last night at the Blake's. Meaning he got up early to go out and get them for me......

My finger tips grazed the table cloth as I moved back towards the kitchen just as Phillip was exiting it, with the plates of food in his hands. He looked at me and placed the plates on the table before asking if I was okay. 

"You did all this?" I began gesturing to the breakfast. "For me?" 

He gave a small smile in reply, before tucking a strand of hair behind my ears. 

"I love you" He whispered, only the sound of the ticking mantle clock remained in the room. 

My eyes met his before he crashed his lips onto mine. I was a bit startled at first, just by the sheer surprise of the kiss, before relaxing into it - let my arms find their way around his neck. 

I pulled away not long after. "I love you too Phillip." I whispered back at him. 

This caused Phillip to smile and place his hand on my cheek before quickly removing it. 

"You're burning up!" He exclaimed as he pressed the back of his hand against my forehead. 

"What?" I asked, taken back by his statement. "I am perfectly fine Phillip, what are you talking about?" 

"You have a temperature. Maybe you should go have a couple more hours of sleep?" He suggested.

"But the food?" I said, reaching out towards the two plates  on the table.

"I will make you some later, but please just go get some rest before the fever gets too bad." He asked worriedly.

"If you do I will make you twice as much bacon?" He bribed. 

****

Phillip's Pov

Lizzy has been asleep for almost three hours. I have been pacing in front of her door for about an hour and a bit by now. Couple more minutes, then I will check on her. 

Besides the worried thoughts on Lizzy, the other half of my mind was focused on what she said before that. 

"I love you too Phillip" Her voice repeated in my mind, making me smile and laugh at myself at the same time. 

I mean, if you had told me that nearly six months ago- I would of joined Barnum's circus, I would of told you that you were delusional 

If you had told me that I would end up loving a girl who was so amazing and beautiful that my heart would stop every time she entered  a room, I would of told you that no such girl existed. 

I was wrong. Very wrong. 

I pushed back Lizzy's door a bit, whispering her name into the wind as I went in to her room. 

She was asleep still, but she looked different from the last time I saw her. Her skin had become a shade lighter, the colour being drained out of it. Purple circles had formed underneath her eyes and her clothes stuck to her. 

"Lizzy?" I said, lightly pulling her shoulder. "Lizzy?" 

Her eyes fluttered open for a couple of seconds before they closed again. 

"Phillip?" She breathed." My shoulder hurts." 

"Which one?" I asked softly as she indicated which one was hurting. 

My brow furrowed in confusion as I pulled the corner of her shirt back, in order to see her shoulder. There were three, newly opened, wounds just underneath her shoulder blade; all in which were extremely red. 

Her three cuts from the fire!

She must of reopened the scar somehow. 

I felt my pulse beginning to rush as I picked her up in my arms, cradling her head into my shoulder before running out to the front of the house and into the carriage which was already waiting for us to take us to the circus. I gave him the address and told them to go as quickly as they could. 

I placed Lizzy's head into my arms, constantly brushing her hair out of her face, so it would stick to her face.  "Come on Lizzy. Stay with me." I said, fearing the worst possible outcome. 

I didn't even realise that we had pulled up until the carriage driver opened the door to let us out, I gathered Lizzy up into my arms before running up the stairs towards a house. Knocking on the door hastily. 

A girl, with strawberry blonde hair, opened the door. "Phillip? Is that Elizabeth?!?!?" 

I nodded quickly at Megan's question. 

"Bring her inside." She said as she pulled us into the house of the Blake's.