Chapter 9: A new chief

(Normal pov)

Hiccup and Toothless moves through the forest and stopped once the village came into view. The banners that hung across the village told Hiccup all he needed to know. A new chief was chosen.

Hiccup took out a cloak from his satchel attached to Toothless's saddle and wrapped himself in the cloak and put his hood on, he then turned to Toothless. "Bud, I'm gonna need  you to wait here alright?" Toothless growled in displeasure.

::Are you certain of this? I would rather stand by your side then hide in the bushes and treelines::

Hiccup scratched the dragons chin and nodded. "I know bud, but if I need a quick exit, that's where you come in." Toothless nodded and crouched down, behind the many bushes shielding his mighty presence. Hiccup smiled and walked toward the village, villagers heading toward the Great Hall to witness the crowning of the the new chief.

Hiccup couldn't believe how much the village had changed in just five years, there were more houses than usual, which means the population on the island must've tripled.

That just means more people will starve when Apollyon burns the seed grain at Svengard. Innocent souls will starve to death while the wolves among each tribe will gather what little food remains for themselves. How Apollyon has the stomach to make humans miserable and turn against each other, Hiccup didn't know. What he does know is that she needs to be stopped, unfortunately Mercy, Apollyon's top Peacekeeper was on Berk too and was tasked to shadow Hiccup and ensure that he stays on task.

Once Hiccup opens the doors to the Hall, and was saw the entire village was gathered. He saw Stoick on the throne and Astrid standing beside him. Was... she to become the next chief? His answer was answered when Stoick rose and Gothi approached the duo. "The Time has come for me to choose my successor and rule Berk. Honestly I had hoped my son to take this responsibility, but since the traitor sided with the devils that have grieved us for centuries, I've given Astrid Hofferson that honor." The entire Hall erupted with cheers and praises, all while Hiccup clung to the shadows and watched.

"Five years ago from today, Astrid Hofferson turned in my former son for betraying Viking tradition and his own kind by siding with dragons." The Hall erupted with boos and cursing Hiccup's name. Hiccup clenched his fists and shook his head, not letting his former fathers words enrage him, Stoick continued speaking. "Astrid did her duty and turned in the traitor and he was banished. She killed the Nightmare in Hiccup's place and she proved she's a true Viking and worthy of being Berks  and first Chieftess.

Gothi approached Astrid and dipped her fingers in charcoal, and drew the newly named Chieftain symbol on Astrid's forehead. "My last act as Chief of Berk is naming Astrid Hofferson, Berks first female chief, may her reign be long and prosperous!!" The Hall erupted with joy and praise.

Astrid was dressed in new armor, she had a chest plate and her red tunic beneath it, she had a fur hood connecting to her shoulder pads, and since this was a celebration, her skirt was made out of red and black Monsterous Nightmare skin. Her Dutch fishtail mohawk seemed to glow in the candle light inside the Hall, she had red and black eye liner that went to her temples. Hiccup was breathless, Astrid's beauty had reached new limits.

The Vikings in the room began playing traditional music and started bringing in the celebration feast.

Hiccup saw the look on Astrid's face, she looked... guilty? Why? She'd just received the highest privilege, she should be happy, so why wasn't she?

Astrid grabbed a plate of food and sat at the main table, while every one of her friends and family members congratulated her and sat with her. Hiccup saw his opening, he opened a compartment in his armor, on his forearm, that held papped and a charcoal pencil, he began writing and once he finished he folded it and made his way over to Astrid.

(Astrid's pov)

All my friends and family sat with me, they gave me their congratulations and fill of kind words, Snotlout though thought he should be chief and not me. "So babe..." Snotlout started as he draped an arm on my shoulder, I cringed at this idiots odor, it was revolting. "...since your Berks first chieftess, do you wanna consider marrying me? We'd make some fine Viking babies." He said while wagging his eyebrows, now I've lost my appetite.

I broke his wrist and ripped his arm off me, he yelled in pain and I seethe out. "Not on your life you smelly pig shit." Everyone laughs at Snotlout's misfortune, I then get up to leave, that is until a cloaked hooded figure grabs my hand, I'm about to ask what they're doing, but I then feel a piece of paper in my hand, this figure then walks out of the Hall, I raise an eyebrow in confusion, I unfold the paper and read it.

"I need to speak with you, meet me at the the Cove, Berk and all of Viking kind are about to be plunged into a living Hell."

Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III

(Minutes later— The Cove)

I arrived at the Cove to see the cloaked figure sitting next to a fire and a massive black dragon curled up next to him.

It was him...

"Hiccup?"

I saw the cloaked figure rise and remove his hood, I gasped at much he'd changed, a light beard gracing his face, his sharp jawline, his auburn hair was in a man bun and his hairstyle was an undercut, and he had a scar across his eye. He smiled at me and spoke.

"Hello Astrid. Long time no see eh?"