Chapter 4: Discovering a monster

(Normal pov)

Walking through the halls of the complex, the young man, Kiyoshi, would point out various things without speaking. He would point out rooms where men would train, eat, and apparently be taught how to write. Hiccup wondered if the young man spoke his language. He remembered Daichi speaking to him in his language.

"So uhm, Kiyoshi, you can understand me right?" Hiccup asked slowly.

The young man scoffed at his question. "Of course I can. Why do you think I was chosen to be your escort." He replied, like Hiccup was an idiot.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to offend." Hiccup said raising his arms submissively.

Kiyoshi 'hmped' and continued the tour. Hiccup turned to shrug at Toothless who only looked at him blankly.

"So Kiyoshi, how come you and your dad can speak my language?" Hiccup inquired. He was truly curious about that.

"My grandfather encouraged my father to learn many languages during his education to become a samurai. My father in turn, did the same with me," he explained not turning around.

"Oh I see. What are Samurai?" he asked.

Whirling around and raising his head proudly he answered. "Samurai are the greatest and our most noblest warriors here. They are birthed from noble blood raised with the finest education in the arts of warfare, amongst other things. One day, I too will be a samurai. Just like my father and his father before him. Then I will become the general to the emperor's army."

"Oh, well that's.... interesting." Hiccup said, unsure how to respond to that.

With a proud smile he turned to lead Hiccup once again. Hiccup took in all the new information. The samurai certainly seemed like strong warriors. They sounded like they could give Vikings a pretty good challenge. And the Blackstone Legion too.

"So the emperor, is he like the king of this land?" Hiccup inquired.

"More or less. The land is divided into provinces that are ruled by a lord. Each lord has his own army of Samurai. All the provinces swear loyalty to the emperor and he has absolute authority over them." Kiyoshi explained.

"Hm." Hiccup replied thoughtfully.

"What of you Hiccup-san? Where are you from?" Kiyoshi asked turning to face him.

"From an island very far from here. It's called Berk."

Bringing a finger to his chin, Kiyoshi seemed to be thinking about what he had said. "Can't say I've heard of this place. It must be quite far." Kiyoshi said thoughtfully.

"Trust me, it is. Took us a few months of flying to reach these new lands." Hiccup answered.

"What did you do at your home? A warrior perhaps?" Kiyoshi asked.

"Well I was a blacksmith's apprentice. My dad was the chief or our island too." Hiccup answered with a shrug.

Nodding, Kiyoshi began to walk again. This time however he slowed his pace to walk beside Hiccup. "Why did you come here then?" He asked.

Hiccup sighed in disappointment. "Because I befriended my dragon, I was exiled, a dragon is our mortal enemy where I come from." He said with a frustrated look.

"But you said your father was a chief. That's something similar to a lord, correct? Were you not highly respected for being his son?" Kiyoshi asked confused.

"You'd think so. But no. I'm small and weak compared to my people. I was my father's embarrassment, hell, maybe I was his bastard." He answered sadly.