Chapter 20: Sophomores

The next few weeks were uninteresting. I was slowly awaiting only one thing: my cousin's wedding. Her name was Vani. She was like my big sister. 

But as I waited, school was boring. James hardly talked to me. Will was only becoming a closer friend. But what had begun to interest me was the fact that the sophomores were all seemingly making an effort to talk to me. Of course Evan would never say a word. But he didn't seem to hate me. He wasn't frigid or hateful. He was just really awkward. I mean if he wanted to say something he should've.

He had started to move nearer to me in some of our classes. He looked at me when he thought I wasn't looking. This bitch. When I liked you, you didn't want me. Now that I'm practically taken, you want me! Evan was just that type of guy. Idiot! 

Eli was one of the few sophs who didn't give a damn. He actually didn't hate me, or wasn't awkward. He messed with me and I messed with him. No awkwardness. No hate. Just simple idiotic friendship. Mina usually had to stop us when we got into one of our arguments. He was like that idiotic older brother.

It was funny because, Eli, Shane, and the other sophomores who talked to me, Eugene were the only ones who spoke to me. And they were all close friends with Evan. Oh this was just too funny. Mina and I had nicknamed Evan the mute. He hardly ever spoke unless it was to one of his close friends, which was rare at that. 

But I was glad I had nerve to talk to the guys in general, without turning beat red. I laughed, teased, flirted, and did whatever the hell I wanted. And the funniest thing was that I didn't even have to pretend to like drugs like they did. I could hate it and they didn't care. 

I think that the sophomores were slowly starting to respect me. I didn't do anything against my beliefs, because they all knew I was Hindu. I stayed to my ways. But that didn't mean that I couldn't mess with them!

I think even James was starting to notice my rising position in the guys' ranks. Not as a slut, or a target, but as one of them.

I was the type of girl who'd laugh at immature jokes, who'd laugh when they criticized my clothing. The type of girl who wasn't sensitive about shit like that. And people, especially the guys were starting to realize that and respect me for that. They were more at ease with me.