Chapter 29

Axel's POV

     I remember it like it happened yesterday...

      "I'm going to kill you!" I quickly ran away in laughter, my legs taking me far, but my brother's military training as him very well in shape and he catches me. I watch as I run through the yard, the scenery coming by in a blur. I get knocked to the ground, the air knocked out of me and turned over on my back.

     I look up to see my older brother, Hayden, put his knees on my arms and sit on my chest, restricting my air flow. I see the whipped cream slowly make its way down his face.

     "Shouldn't have done that Squirt." He says with an evil smirk. Hayden wipes off most of the cream and smears it on my own face. I try to turn away and wiggle out of his hold, but he weighs a ton!

     "Aww! Common! You left before I could pay you back!" I plea, trying to kick him off.

     "Then I guess you'll be in a never-ending cycle of seeking revenge."

     "That's deep." Hayden smiles and rolls his eyes.

     "Hayden! Honey, you're Sergeant called! It's important!" I hear mom call from the front porch. Hayden sighs and gets off after he ruffles my hair. I get up and wipe my face off with my shirt and we both run to where my mother is. He takes his phone from Mom.

     "Hello?... Yes, First Sergeant... I see... I'll be right there... Bye" Hayden hangs up and puts the phone in his pocket. "Looks like I gotta go to Korea... My brothers need my awesome skills." He smiles a little and hugs me before leaving to get dressed and packed.

     I'm angry. All I see is red. He doesn't have to go! He doesn't have to do anything those control freaks want him to do! I want him to stay here so we can have prank wars and play video games! I quickly stomp up to Hayden's room, ignoring my mom's warnings.

     "Why are you leaving?!" I barge in and yell.

     "Excuse me?" Hayden asks, turning around and holding his already packed bag.

     "Don't go!"

     "Axe, I'm not going to argue with you. I need to leave." Hayden says firmly and gently pushes me from the door.

     "You just don't love us! That's why you leave!"

     "Axel, shut up. I have a commitment."

     "No! You hate us! And I hate you!" Hayden cracks and whips around, fisting my shirt and pushing me up against the wall hard enough to make me see stars.

    "You don't mean that. I love both you and mom. I have to go to help my friends and help protect this country. You may not understand now, but you will realize that. For now, you just have to get over that." He lets go and continues out the front door to mom, who has a few tears running down her eyes. "Love you, mom. When he's better, tell him I love him." He smiles down at her and kisses her on the cheek.

     "Okay baby, I love you too, and please be safe." Hayden salutes to her in a silly way and gets in his truck. After starting the engine he drives away, soon disappearing in the distance.

     About 3 months later, two soldiers walk upon our doorstep. I open the door, recognizing one of them as David.

     "Mr. Lancaster, I am David and this is Hund. I've come to tell you that you're brother was in combat, and was shot in the hip. He has been treated the best he could with the situation and brought to the Emergency Center of Illinois. I'm very sorry, but the wound got infected, and he may not last long..."

      I look at him with a blank stare, hoping he'd say 'Pranked Ya!' and Hayden would pop out and surprise me. I heard mom sobbing in the background. She must have wanted to see who was at the door, and overheard. I nod my head, still in a bit if a daze, and close the door. When they left, my mom packed up clothes and hurried me in the car.

     The hospital was about an hour away. It was started pouring down rain. My mom refused to slow down much though. One if her babies were hurt, and she may have been blinded by worry. I don't blame my mother, I would have probably done the same thing. There was a deer in the road, my mother swerved, and we barrel rolled down a hill, stopped by trees.

     I don't remember much after that.