Maid of Honour

"Can I please hear it?" Aelin begged.

There were lounged about, bodies strewn across the the bed like spagettii in Lysandra's temporary room that she made a mess of during her visits.

She held the folded up paper protectively to her chest. "It has to be a surprise. Its not even done yet, I've just got bits a pieces."

Aelin thought for a moment. "Have you got the end?"

Lysandra shrugged. "Sure, that's the easy part."

The queen flipped on her stomach propping her head into a pair of hands, holding it high above the bed.

She looked at her expectantly. "Well lets here it then."

The raven haired bridesmaid unfolded the page, and read the concluding sentence with a flourish. "And in closing, congratulations on finding someone who you think you can put up with for the rest of your life."

"This is going to be the worst Maid of Honour speech in the history of the written word."

Lysandra's eyes snapped to her, folding the paper back into tiny squares as if hiding it from further mocking. "You heard one line, don't be so judgey."

Aelin sighed, eyes basically doing somersaults. "It's going to be funny, and charming. I'll give it that."

"It most certainly will be. I guarantee it. Coming from it, it has to be."

The blonde rolled back onto her back, eyes closed, she curled into Lysandras side. "It will be special, won't it?"

"The specialest."

Lysandra's arms hung loosly around her friend. "I mean the wedding. The ceremony. Actually doing this. It's right, right?"

"Of course, babe."

---

Lysandra stood before a ballroom of people, adorned in a shapely emerald dress, about to give a speech. She had it memorized though now she didn't know what to do with her hands, making her almost wish she had flashcards anyways.

She took a deep breath in, surrounding herself in an air of confidence.

"I'm Lysandra, before I start I would like to welcome you to what Aelin thinks of as the most important event of your lives. I've known Aelin since we were kids. I mean, eight years old and now we're close enough to be sisters.

"Aelin didnt even want me giving a speech here tonight, but I'm her closest thing to a female relative, so here we are. Glad as ever she didn't have Aedion doing this.

"But really, Aelin, where do I even begin. When I agreed to this, it looked easy, I didn't have any idea what horrors I was subjecting myself to.

"I've learned a lot about who both me and Aelin are as people. How much you have changed since you were a child, barely able to hold a dagger.

"You have turned into a wonderful person, who could imagine, in 5 seconds, everything that might go wrong with this speech. On that note of how wonderfully faithful she is in me, I would like to say that she burned the paper right out of my hands when she saw me coming up here with a script.

"But that's fine, I'm really just here to talk about her which is easy enough: our queen is bat shit crazy. She has done the craziest things, and done the most insane stunts. That's why she is here. I've been to a lot of these things and they always say how the bride is the same girl as when we were little but your not. The Celeana that I once knew would carve my heart out in an instant. No joke, we could time her if you want.

"She has turned into this strong, beautiful independent woman that I am proud to know and love. Rowan hopefully feels the same, but just give him a few years, he'll come around to the crazy bit.

"You've spent your life so independent that up until a few months ago you were willing to rule an entire kingdom yourself, secret plans and all. If only to keep us from spoiling our morning coffee.

"Somehow, she has found a guy that loves her despite all that. Rowan, I've never taken the time to get to know you very well, you did steal my best friend, but you must be really brave. Marrying this girl won't be easy and will certainly have its ups, and many downs.

"Aelin, I want you to know we love you, I have loved you. This is special and what you have is special.

"She's crying pretty hard over there, so, in closing, congratulations on finding someone who you think you can put up with for the rest of your life."

--

A/N

Inspired by The Fake Red Head's writing prompt number 45