Chapter Nineteen

Shadedstar sat beside her brother on the Sky Rock, looking over the Gorge, "You made a good choice in making Minnowflame deputy." She commented.

"I know, I have good feelings about her," Darkstar answered, then asked tentatively, "When are you going back to your clan?" His sister had told him about DuskClan, and he had already met her other kits.

The dappled-tabby took a deep breath, answering, "Soon. SkyClan is almost as strong as it once was." There was genuine regret in her eyes. "I do still wish I could stay here."

"But you have your own clan to look after," Darkstar finished for her, eyes sad. "We both have clans to look after now."

"Yes, we do," She confirmed sadly, "I'll try to visit once in a while," She touched noses with her brother. "I'll still be here two more days though."

"Let's make the most of that time then," The white tom murmured, "Should we go see how Mintglade is doing?"

Shadedstar purred, "Yes, and watch out for Nightpaw and Pinepaw on the way there," She chuckled, following her brother back down the Gorge.

On the way down, she passed Bluespark, who was leading a hunting patrol, and mewed a greeting. Her daughter returned it, waving cheerfully. Reaching the medicine den, she called out a greeting to Duskgaze.

"Oh, hello!" Duskgaze looked from her herbs, "Come to see Mintglade again, I assume?" Her voice was teasing as she looked over at Darkstar.

"Yes," The white tom answered after a heartbeat of uncomfortable silence, "Where is she?"

"Over by the river," The medicine cat replied, returning to sorting her herbs.

Mintglade glanced up, looking over in the direction of the two cats as they approached, "Hello." She murmured softly. Her eyes were fully healed, but she would never see again.

"How are you doing?" Darkstar asked softly, settling down beside her.

The she-cat sighed, "Better. It's going to take time to learn where everything is though," She flicked her ragged ear self-consciously. "How have you been?"

The dappled tom chuckled, "Busy, but then most everyone is repairing the camp, hunting, or patrolling the territory."

Shadedstar smiled, stepping back quietly and went down to a quieter part of the river. She gazed into the river, memories like minnows flickering in her eyes. Shaking out her pelt, she closed her eyes, imagining what it would be like if she had never been cast out in the first place.

"Mother? You alright?" Pinepaw poked her mother in the side with a paw.

"Oh, yes I am dear," Shadedstar looked over at Pinepaw, "Do you need anything?"

"Bluespark wants to speak to you about something," The dappled apprentice replied.

"Thank you for letting me know," The dappled-tabby stood up, stretching, "Where is she meeting me?"

"At the Sky Rock," Was the reply as Pinepaw padded over to join her brothers at the fresh-kill pile.

The small warrior climbed up the slope for the second time that day, bounding up in huge leaps. Bluespark's lean frame was silhouetted against the blue leaf-bare sky, still as stone. She turned as her mother approached, no emotion apparent in her eyes.

"Good, you made it up here," She spoke softly, as if hesitating to say something. "I have something to tell you."

"Go on," Her mother encouraged gently, sitting down and curling her tail over her paws.