Chapter Twelve

ShadedOak followed Redleaf to the place where she would receive her nine lives, keeping her head held high. Honeystar had passed two days ago, quietly in her sleep. The tom glanced over at her, waiting to see if she was ready. They had reached the place.

"Once we go in, you are not allowed to speak," He warned.

"I understand," She murmured quietly, "I don't think I'll have any words when we go in anyways."

"Let's go in then," He let the way into the tunnel, the darkness swallowing him up.

She shook out her pelt, glad to be in somewhere warm, slightly warm at least. The winding tunnel seemed endless, until at last they came to an open area. A wide pool filled with starlight lay in the center. She gasped, wonder filling her eyes.

The DuskClan medicine cat beckoned her forward, and she lay down at the edge of the pool. Lapping up a single drop, she plunged into darkness as cold seized her.

Blinking open her eyes, she found herself in a place she thought she would never return to. "Home..." She murmured, gazing down into the Gorge. The Sky Rock had always provided the best view of it.

A warm voice spoke behind her, "You look well, my love."

She gasped, eyes wide. Turning around, she saw Stormrunner, with eight other cats behind him. "Stormrunner!"

"We welcome you," Stormrunner stepped back, letting Honeystar step forward. Joy lit up in ShadedOak's eyes, "I had always known you would do well."

"Thank you..." The small warrior murmured softly.

"With this life I give you strength to endure the impossible," The cream and white she-cat mewed, touching her muzzle to the she-cat's head.

Pain like nothing she had ever felt shot through her, and she gritted her teeth to suppress a yowl.

She was shaking by the time the next cat stepped forward. It was her mentor Roseshimmer, "With this life I give you bravery," The SkyClan warrior mewed, touching her nose to ShadedOak's forehead.

Another bolt of pain shot through her, and she only just managed to keep herself from yowling. She stood up after a heartbeat, ready for the next life.

A glint of both happiness and sadness glimmered in her eyes when she saw her father. But he wasn't the sad, tortured cat she had known then, he was happy.

"It's good to see you, my daughter," He mewed, amber eyes glowing, "With this life I give you love."

A fierce flash of pain flickered through her, something she had felt before, the burning desire to protect her kits. The tom stepped back, giving a respectful nod. A dark-cream she-cat with curious violet eyes stepped forward.

"I am Dawn, Minnow's mother. She will do well in your home," The she cat touched her nose to ShadedOak's forehead, "With this life I give you patience."

A warm, patient feeling flickered through her as Dawn stepped away, replaced by a black she-cat with blue-gray spots. Her glimmering amber eyes glinted in the starlight.

"With this life I give you forgiveness," She murmured, then spoke directly to her, "I am Stemcloud, Nightclaw's mother. I know you will do well."

Petalfall stepped up to meet ShadedOak, eyes glimmering softly, "With this life I give you the wisdom to know when what you are doing is right." She stepped backward, into the crowd, as the life surged through her clanmate.

Shaking, she made an effort to stand up, keeping her head held high, the lives making her feel full. A light-brown she-cat with ice-blue eyes stepped forward. Curiosity glimmered in ShadedOak's eyes.

"I am Amberglow, once a WindClan warrior, but now I hunt with fallen clanmates," The she-cat mewed, "With this life I give you the speed to outrun any danger."

A rushing wind filled her ears, making her feel as if she could run forever. When her vision returned, she saw that Stormrunner had stepped forward.

"You have done so well, my love," He murmured softly, love glowing in his eyes, "With this life I give you endurance to keep going even when it feels as though there is no light left." He stayed by her side for a heartbeat, then stepped back to let one last cat through.

She felt even more full, like a river about to overflow. Gasping, she realized the last cat was her mother. "Mother!" She purred, greeting Willowfrost.

"You have done so well, my kit. I will be with you always, don't forget that," The silver she-cat murmured, "With life I give you leadership, to keep your clan together through dark times."

The full sensation disappeared as her mother began to speak once more, "Your old life is no more, we hail you by your new name, Shadedstar," Willowfrost paused, speaking again, "Live well, and never forget that SkyClan will be here forever."

The sound of her new name filled her ears, and then darkness slammed over her vision. Sounds filled her ears, voices of other cats, she realized. Blinking open her eyes again, she realized she was down in the Gorge. Falconspark stood on the Rock Pile, addressing the clan, an evil glint in his eyes.

Shadedstar bristled, eyes flashing. But this was a vision, she could do nothing.

"This clan needs to realize that they need me as leader to make it strong," His cold gaze swept over the crowd.

Darkstar stood in the center of a few rogues, amber eyes flashing determinedly. "I am this clan's leader!" He hissed, "they don't need you destroying us again."

Falconstar continued with a hiss, "I rid you of a murderer! ShadedOak killed two of your clanmates!"

The white tom stepped forward as much as he could, anger glowing in his eyes, "My sister never did any of that. And she is not dead, I feel it in my bones. She is coming back to rid the clan of you, Falconstar, I promise you that."

She opened her eyes with hiss, claws unsheathed as though she was attacking an enemy. Redleaf looked over at her worriedly, "Are you alright?"

Her eyes darkened, "Yes. But I must return to my clan, at least until it is safe."