9. Party Ready

It is now 5pm and mum and I make our way to the beautician to get our hair and makeup done. I still can't understand the fuss that has been produced because of my 18th birthday but decide to go along with mum to fulfil her desires and wishes.

We arrive at our local beautician called Sparkles

What a cringey name I think internally. I have never come here before but Mum is a routine client and she always looks classy and beautiful when she treats herself to an appointment so I don't question that they will do a great job on me too.

We enter through the front glass doors and I observe the interior for a minute, the walls are marbled with a black and white combination, there is a feel of splendour when you scan your eyes around the room as you can view gold, geometric pendant lighting hanging from the ceiling, adding an element of decadence to the entire vicinity. I am pleasantly surprised as I assumed that the embarrassing shop name 'Sparkles' will reflect the interior of the shop.

While looking around, a worker greets mum and I and tells us to take a seat before someone will come and tend to us. After waiting for five minutes a female called Cassandra comes over to mum and says she is ready for her, I wait an additional five minutes until another lady named Zara comes over to me.

"Hi, my name is Zara" she greets me in a friendly manner.

"Hey, I'm Elisa" I respond, putting my hand out to greet her, she places her hand in mine for a handshake and smiles sweetly at me.

"Hi Elisa, I am now ready for you", she says in almost a robotic tone, after removing her hands from my grasp, she turns her head to the right and starts walking off indicating that I should follow her lead, I get up and then eventually take a seat opposite a large smoke chrome mirror. I take a look at my reflection and recognise that my under eyes have darkened tremendously since yesterday, the stress evidently getting to me.

"So how would you like your hair?" Zara says, interrupting my thoughts, I contemplate for awhile, I actually didn't come here with a particular hairstyle in mind, but I knew that I wanted to attach a small floral piece to my hair that I bought along with me to the parlour. I quickly remember a hairstyle that I saw on social media last week, thus open up my Instagram page to find the picture. After finding it I show it to Zara.

"I would like this hairstyle? If it's possible?" I request timidly , pointing to the picture on my phone, afraid the hairstyle may be too intricate for her to follow through.

"Honey, my hands are capable of producing any hairstyle" she responds confidently, easing into our conversation, the earlier robotic drill of her voice escaping, replaced now by a pleasing, spirited tone. I instantly feel comfortable in her presence and exude a small laugh.

She starts working on my tangled, jet black hair and washes it again even though I already washed it at home. The washing and the drying puts me in a tranquil state and before I know it I drift off to sleep even though I slept like I was in a coma before.

After an hour I am awakened by Zara , I open my eyes and the first image I am greeted by is my own reflection in the mirror. I let out a small gasp as I'm enthralled by my hair, it looks so gorgeous. I turn my body sideways to properly view it and notice that she placed the floral piece over the half- updo, the design cascading down so elegantly. I give her a big smile, completely enamoured by the results.

 I give her a big smile, completely enamoured by the results

"Thank you so much! I absolutely love it!! I say sincerely.

"No worries" she responds appreciatively, "I think it's time for your makeup though, Cassandra will work on you now as that is her forte" she continues cheerfully.

"Okay" I smile widely at her, my mood instantly perking up.

Zara guides me to another chair where I finally take notice of mum, she looks absolutely stunning as usual. Her shoulder length, natural platinum blonde hair coming down in light curls.

"Hi beautiful, look at your hair!" Mum says after turning towards me "Your mate won't know what has hit him when he sees you" she says sending me a wink. I roll my eyes in return but then send her a hesitant smile so I don't seem too rude, the thoughts of an impending mate still terrifying me.

I decide to go for a classy, minimalist makeup look. I choose to have a light application of lilac and gold eye-shadow to match my dress, with eyeliner and mascara and then a pink lip balm to enhance my natural lip colour, then finally have some light pink blush put on my cheeks to give them a rosy tint.

After we are both finished with our hair and makeup, we put on our dresses. I look at myself in the full length mirror in a tiny room inside the salon which mum and I used as a changing room, I admire my appearance as I look so different, in a good way.

I was never ashamed of my natural appearance, people always complimented my features such as my green eyes and high cheek bones. however today I feel like a different person

"I feel so hot.. yet elegant". I say while admiring my reflection in the mirror, I try on different poses and marvel at how great I look, not at all ashamed of my vanity. The dress fits my petite 5ft 3 frame perfectly. I suddenly hear a knock on the door in the midst of complimenting myself.

"Sweetheart it's time to leave" Mum says loudly from the other side of the door. I look at myself appreciatively once more and consequently open the door to leave.

We finally exit the place and I see my dad waiting outside the the beauticians next to a Jaguar XF. His light blonde hair is combed back stylishly and he is sporting a navy blue suit and a black tie, with a black collared shirt inside. He takes a look at me and smiles, I smile back in return but anxiously as my mood is short lived after I quickly register that the only person I know who owns a Jaguar XF in our town is Samuel.

Dad must be borrowing the car, I think inwardly, Why would Samuel be here despite me forbidding him to come, I continue my scattered thoughts, trying to reassure myself that he was not actually here, however dad breaks up my musings as I hear him talking to mum.

"My car broke down so I had to use Samuel's" He says sounding tired, I exhale soundlessly, relieved at the probability that he may have not come.

"The boy said he won't go, said he has other business to attend to, how absurd I told him, but finally managed to force him to attend, Imagine what the pack would have thought if they saw him missing, our honour would be compromised" he discusses with mum.

"Well I'm glad you managed to make him come, this is a big day for all of us, him included!" she states , sounding aggravated, not knowing the reason for his near absence was actually because of me. I follow them from behind, a foreboding feeling engulfing my mind and body.

As we come closer to the car, I finally see his silhouette through the tinted windows in the driver's seat, even through the dark glass I can make out his piercing gaze towards me, I can't detect whether it is anger, hatred, annoyance, revenge or a combination of all four, but I knew that he is not happy with me.

I don't think today will be a happy birthday I mentally state as I get inside his car.