Chapter 10: The end of the war

Start from the beginning

"Cap, bomb ten o'clock!" I dodged the incoming blast as I told him. I took the right and he took the left.

"Got it." He took cover too and attacked when given the chance. He knocked the bomb out of its hand but was distracted before he could destroy it.

I flashed behind my enemy, readying to backstab him, but he saw through my plan and stabbed me instead.

I froze in place before letting a painful scream, which was cut off when it threw me to the side.

"Frostbite!" Captain yelled. I groaned in pain and gently touched my wound. It was bleeding but I dealt with it before. This one just cut me off guard.

"I'm okay! No need to worry." I jumped up to avoid the bastard's attack and threw a sword at it as I was in the air. "It's just a scratch." I landed near cap and whisked out more swords. He got out of my way and I cut his head off. Blood came out and the smell was beyond disgusting. "Eww!"

"Look out!" Captain yelled and pushed me to the side as the last alien tossed the bomb near us. He lifted up his shield and blocked the attack, but was thrown out of the building in the process.

This time, it was my turn to scream.

"Captain!" I killed the last one and leaped down to him. Fortunately (I guess), he landed on one of the cars and what's left on that is a small crater.

"Captain? Are you okay? Speak to me." I lightly slapped his cheeks and stared at his injured features. His head was bleeding a bit, which made me believe he had a conclusion. "Captain? Steve, Can you hear me? Please say something."

"Frost.... Bite?" He responded slowly. His eyes slowly inverted into mine as he said it. I was relieved and smiled at him.

"Yeah, it's me, frostbite. You're going to be okay. I'm here with you."

We stood still like that for awhile, not minding our surrounding. Cap slowly grasped my hand and gave it a squeeze. I didn't mind. This feels right. Like I've wished for this to happen in the longest time. And it made me at peace when it did happen.

But I snapped out of the daze when a screech came from behind me. I swiftly turned and was about to attack, but it seemed to be shot down before I whipped it out. I figured that it was Clint, so I thanked him.

"Thanks a lot, Clint. If it wasn't for you, I'd be bleeding more than I expected."

"It wasn't me, frosty."

I froze at his respond, but thought of it as a joke. "Haha, very funny. But seriously."

"I'm telling the truth. There was another guy. He had a cloak on, so I didn't catch his face, and he disappeared as soon as he hit the mark."

I inspected the body more and found a very strange arrow. It was a golden arrow. Very thin, but sharp enough to cut through its thick skin. Definitely not one of his. And this also seems familiar. Man, what is going on today? It's like I'm havin' déjà vu over and over again. God—

"I saw it all."

"Wait what?"

"Talk to you soon. Bye!" And then he cut off from me.

I rubbed the bridge of my nose and took a deep breathe. "That son of a—"

"Ah, ah. Language."

"I was about to say 'gun', cap. And it's the 21st century. Who cares?" I responded in a 'duh' tone.

"As a former citizen from the 19th century, I do care." He picked up his shield and gave me a look.

I opened my mouth to retort, but he's right in his own terms. "Fair point. Only seniors would say that."

"I'm not sure if I should feel insulted or not, but let's keep moving." Captain shrugged it off and seems to be in a better state.

"Take it however you like, captain." I pulled the arrow out and covered the point in ice. Thor might have an idea on what this is. Looks like the kind of stuff that might be found on Asgard. I just need to find him.

----------
We managed to bump into Thor while endlessly fighting against these aliens. I grew tired from all this and lagged behind a bit.

"Are you ready for another bout?" Thor suddenly asked.

"What? You're getting sleepy? How About you, frostbite?" He turned to me, waiting for my opinion.

"Thor might not, but This is starting to drain me." I took a breather and wiped the sweats off my forehead.

"I can close it. Can anybody copy? I can shut down the portal." Natasha's voice rang through the comms.

"Do it!" Captain immediately responded.

"Please!"

"No, wait." Tony interrupted while carrying a.... Wait is that a fucking nuke?!

"Stark, these things are still coming."

"I got a nuke coming in. It's gonna blow in less than a minute. And I know just where to put it."

"Tony, I know you're a genius, but that's suicide." I butted in the conversation as I fear for his life. He didn't say anything. "Tony?" Still no reply. "Damn it! He cut me off. Captain, what do we do? He could die!"

"No.... We should give him a chance. And besides, if he doesn't, New York and all of us will be destroyed." He reasoned. I didn't say anything else because he was right.

Don't you die, tony. I prayed. It was the only thing I could do as I waited for the result.

Soon, captain spoke out, "Close it."

Nat obeyed and shut it. The portal grew smaller and smaller and so was my hope. "Tony, come on." Then the aliens all around us, dropped their weapons and slammed into the ground lifelessly. Still no sign of tony yet. And then a miracle happened and he came out right before it completely closed. "YES!!" I cheered loudly and fist bumped the air.

"Son of a gun."

Smiling to the others, I looked at him again and realized, he's not slowing down.

"He isn't slowing down." Thor alerted. We moved to catch him, but hulk jumped in and did the job for us.

After hulk let him down, captain went and pulled his faceplate off. He pressed his ear against his heart area, trying to find any sound, but he raised up with a sorrow look.

I stared at his face with sadden eyes as I thought, Another year, another friend gone.

Then out of the blue, hulk let out a deafening roar and miraculously, tony came back to life, with a scream.

"GAH! What the hell? What just happened? Please tell me nobody kissed me." He said loudly with his usually tone.

"We won." Captain answered proudly.

"All right, yay! Hurray! Good jobs, guys. Let's just not come in tomorrow. Let's just take a day. Have you ever tried shawarma? There's a shawarma joint about two blocks from here. I don't know what it is, but I want to try it." He blabbed on like he almost didn't die. I didn't mind and truthfully, I like the guy because of it.

"Hold on, cowboy. We're not finished yet." I said, still smiling at his attic.

"And then shawarma after."

-------------
Moments later, we were on the top floor of stark tower, weapons out, pointing directly at the mastermind behind all of this as he woke up.

He slowly raised his hands when he saw us. "If it's all the same to you, I'll have that drink now."

[End of chapter 10]