Chapter 9: What's best, is worst [Edited]

Thank you for the 120 views! I really appreciate it!
(Author's note #2: I just want to say how embarrassed I am for putting the wrong edit in. This one is the real chapter/edit.)

----------------------------

Timeskip
Here we are, sitting at the table in the control room, head hung low. There were only five of us here; Nick, Steve, Tony, agent hill and me. I had bandages on my head and a look of grief on my face. I still can't believe that Phil's dead. I can't pull myself to do it.

Even though he did blackmail me into joining, which made me go through a ton of training and missions, he was still a friend. Sometimes he was like a father figure to me. I tried not to cry anymore than I have on the way here, but by doing so, My anger and sadness was eating me alive bits by bits.

I sat in the middle of Steve and Tony; both were as sad as I was.

Nick broke the silence by throwing certain cards onto the table. Phil's prized possession: his captain America cards. Some were covered in blood.

"These were in Phil Coulson's jacket. I guess he never did get you to sign them." He said to Steve. "We're dead in the air up here. Our communications, the location of the Tesseract, banner, Thor.... I got nothing for you. I lost my one good eye. Maybe I had it coming." He continued to speak. We didn't say anything or do anything, besides keeping our heads down. "Yes, we were going to build an arsenal with the Tesseract. I never put all my chips on that number though, because I was playing something even riskier." He walked passed Steve, and stopped behind my chair. "There was an idea, Stark knows this, called the Avengers Initiative. The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people to see if they could become something more. To see if they could work together when we needed them to, to fight the battle we never could. Phil Coulson died still believing in that idea. In heroes." Tony abruptly stood up and quietly walked out of the room. I followed after, but not before hearing Nick finished his speech.

"Well, it's an old-fashioned notion."
——————----------.....
Third person's POV

"Clint. You're going to be all right." Natasha reassured, but Clint was still having some sort of negative reaction to it, denying it.

"You know that? Is that what you know? I've got no window. I have to flush him out." He panted, pulling his retrains that was tied to the bed.

"You got to level out. It's going to take time." She continued.

"You don't understand." He grunted a bit. "Have you ever had someone take your brain and play? Pull you out and stuff something else in? Do you know what it's like to be unmade?"

"Maybe you won't have to go through it if you told me about the tesseract project, instead of hiding it from me. Just saying." Frostbite said sarcastically and shrugged. "Hi, Clint. Remember me? The friend that you trusted?"

"He knows about it?" He asked Natasha, who replied,

"Cat jumped out when we planned on rescuing you."

"You think I won't eventually find out? Do you think that you can keep it hidden forever? Hah! That's rich." He laughed dryly before dropping it, eyeing them like a predator. "I thought that we were friends. I thought you were different."

"We only thought of what was best for you—" before she could finish, he cut her off with more outbursts.

"What was best for me? Don't give me that crap, Natasha. You, of all people, would know that I could help. Loki wouldn't stand a chance if I was there. The tesseract wouldn't have been stolen if I was there. In fact, none of this would've happened if I was there. So why? Are you guys really doing this for my well-being? Or is it because you don't trust me?"