Chapter 34 - Whole Again

Start from the beginning

“I’ll be right back. I’m going to go get your mom.” Jake said and walked off when I nodded.

It was awkward just standing around with both of Jake’s parents’ eyes on me the whole time as I pretended not to notice. I instantaneously let out a breath of relief when I heard my mother and Jake’s footsteps coming closer. 

I look up, my eyes landing on my mom as she held my baby daughter, and my heart melts with love. I had missed her so much these last four days that it was the only thing that really made me want to leave the beach house and return.

My feet move without me telling me to and I’m walking to the my little girl who’s smiling adorably at me, giggling.

“Hi, mom.” I kissed her cheek.

“Hey, honey.” She smiles and I extend my arms out for my baby, holding her close and becoming complete when she’s in my arms. 

“I missed you so much.” I whispered to her. I hear my mom behind me, greeting Jacob’s parents but I’m too absorbed with Ava to care about what they’re saying.

“She knows you did.” Jacob’s tender and chuckling voice says from beside me. I look up at him and smile before he kisses Ava’s cheek. “I missed you too, baby girl.” He whispers, smiling lovingly at our daughter.

“My God, she’s beautiful!” Felicia’s voice interrupts, exclaiming, and I look at her to find her eyes moistening as she looks at the three of us. 

I give her a smile and say, “Want to hold her?” She nods quickly, holding back tears, and extends her arms out. I carefully place Avalyn in her arms, her wide blue eyes flickering quickly in something like alarm. Oh no, please don’t cry. 

“Hey, there, Ava.” Felicia says, looking into Ava’s now calming eyes. I watch as Jose stands beside his wife, looking at Ava intently with overwhelmed eyes. “We’re your other grandparents.” She whispers, causing me to smile. I look up at Jacob, his eyes soft and melancholy. Needing to console him, I walk to him and wrap my arms around him, relaxing against his chest when he put his around me.

Then Ava started to wail and I wondered how I was so lucky to have her remain so calm with new probing eyes directly staring at her as she was held in a stranger’s arms. Jake and I pull apart, looking at her. Her wide and teary blue eyes were pointed directly at Jacob, stretching her small chubby arms out him. His eyes became that lovely melting puddle of liquid when he looked at her and quickly took her in his arms, holding her to his chest as he gently rocked her. 

“It’s okay, baby girl. Shh.” He cooed quietly, kissing her auburn head, and my heart melted. Felicia and Jose looked at the two of them in awe, something beautiful sparkling in both of their eyes and I thought I’d cry from the joy. 

My mom suddenly appears at my side and locks our elbows together, not speaking, just joining me as I watched. Jake’s father moved closer to my boyfriend and daughter, admiring the two of them with his sad eyes. He was hurting. 

Jacob turned his handsome face toward his father, his eyes widening in surprise at the sight of him, at the sight of sadness and pain in his dad’s eyes. 

“Jacob. She doesn’t look like you. There’s no resemblance.” Then he pauses, my heart shattering, and my mom’s grip on me tightens in support. “She’s not yours is she?” Jose asks quietly, his voice soft, but Jake doesn’t reply. He turns his attention to me, his eyes troubled and anxious. I nod my head, giving him a soft smile, and mouth, tell him. I didn’t care if Jake’s parents knew. I wasn’t ashamed anymore and frankly, I cared more about Jake’s happiness than other’s opinions.